MIAMI, Fla. – After dropping the doubles point at the start of the day, the FGCU women’s tennis team came back to defeat FIU, 4-3, in thrilling fashion in Miami on Saturday afternoon.
With the dual match tied at three points each, it was up to sophomore Sarah Means (Wesley Chapel, Fla./Wiregrass Ranch HS) to bring home a win for the Green and Blue with her No. 1 singles match still in the first set. After dropping the first set, Means stormed back to win the next two sets, 6-0 and 6-2 over FIU’s Aleksand Trifunovic to take the match and clinch a victory for the Eagles who opened the 2013 spring season the right way, with a victory.
“This was a big win for us today,” said head coach Jennifer Gabou. “We've never beaten FIU and to do so with a win on court one was special. I am extremely proud of the way we handled adversity and came back to win.”
Confidence was the key for several FGCU student-athletes today as their winning ways carried over from last weekend’s FGCU Spring Invitational where the Green and Blue picked up a total of 15 victories over the course of the three-day event.
Junior Bettina Botha (Cape Town, South Africa/De Kuilen HS) and a pair of freshmen, Johanna Sterkel (Schwetzingen, Germany/Carl-Theodor-Schule HS) and Elizabeth Means (Wesley Chapel, Fla./Wiregrass Ranch, Fla.) all came out victorious on the singles courts to give FGCU the four dual match points they needed to bring a win back to Fort Myers.
Even though the Eagles were unable to win the doubles point, FGCU did however win one doubles match as Elizabeth and Sarah Means won 8-3 against FIU’s third ranked doubles team.
The Green and Blue will take two weeks off before hitting the road again to face FAU in Boca Raton, Fla. on February 9 at 12:30 p.m.
FGCU 4, FIU 3
Order of Finish: (3, 2, 6, 5, 4, 1)
1. Sarah Means (FGCU) def. Aleksand Trifunovic (FIU) 5-7, 6-0, 6-2
2. Rita Maisak (FIU) def. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU) 7-6, 6-2
3. Carlotta Orlando (FIU) def. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Johanna Sterkel (FGCU) def. Giulietta Boha (FIU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Elizabeth Means (FGCU) def. Lotte Gras (FIU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Bettina Botha (FGCU) def. Michelle Sabado (FIU) 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: (1, 3, 2)
1. Maisak/Trifunovic (FIU) def. Bechtel/Botha (FGCU) 8-0
2. Boha/Orlando (FIU) def. Sterkel/Mandic (FGCU) 9-8
3. Means/Means (FGCU) def. Gras/Holt (FIU) 8-3