@FGCU_WSoccer Settles for a 0-0 Tie with Kennesaw State
Sunday, October 20, 2013 | by Matt Moretti III (@Moretts13)
FGCU can clinch top-seed in A-Sun tournament with a win or tie next weekend.
FGCU can clinch top-seed in A-Sun tournament with a win or tie next weekend.
FGCU (11-3-3, 6-0-2 A-Sun)
Kennesaw State (7-7-1, 4-2-1 A-Sun)
10/20/2013 | Kennesaw, Ga. | Attendance: 626
1st2nd1OT 2OT Final
Kennesaw State00000
FGCUBROWN, Brittany110:0002
KSUSTURDIVANT, Olivia110:0006
Stats at a GlanceFGCUKSU
Shots (on Goal)21 (6)8 (2)
Corner Kicks123

Kennesaw, Ga. – The FGCU women’s soccer team (11-3-3, 6-0-2 Atlantic Sun) failed to score on Sunday afternoon but kept Kennesaw State (7-7-1, 4-2-1 A-Sun) off the board as well as the two programs battled to a 0-0 tie following a pair of overtime periods.  

Despite the tie, the Eagles have clinched at least a second-place finish heading into the conference tournament following next weekend’s regular season finale at Stetson. Should FGCU defeat or tie Stetson it will secure the top seed and will host the semifinals and finals of the 2013 Atlantic Sun Women’s Soccer Championship at the FGCU Soccer Complex.

“Conference road games are always difficult and today was a great example of that” Eagles’ assistant coach Henry Singleton stated. “Kennesaw State is a strong team and it was a competitive game throughout. Now it’s time to turn our attention to what’s ahead, get a good week of training and then try to close out the regular season with a win next weekend.”

Despite dominating the shot column over their previous five games, the Eagles failed to register their first shot until the eighth minute. From there both teams would trade chances with FGCU having more looks at goal. KSU goalkeeper Olivia Sturdivant was up to the task, making three saves over the first 25 minutes before FGCU keeper Brittany Brown (Rochester, N.Y./Greece Athena HS) had to make her first.

By the end of the opening frame, FGCU had a very slim 5-3 lead in the shot column and a 3-1 lead in corner kicks.

In the second half, FGCU would gain control of the pace and maintain it for the majority of the time. Melissa Arnold (Sicklerville, N.J./Timber Creek Regional HS) attempted four corner kicks by the 75th minute but only one shot resulted from her efforts.

The Green and Blue would attempt seven shots in all in the second half with none ending up on goal. At the end of regulation FGCU had built a 12-4 lead in the shot column and a 10-2 lead in corner kicks. Sturdivant was not forced to make a single save in the second stanza.

FGCU would take its third trip to overtime this season while KSU was making its second appearance in extra frames. Neither of the Eagles’ previous tries in overtime would provide a result while KSU’s only trip ended in a 2-1 loss.

Kaitlin Parker (Palm Harbor, Fla./Clearwater Central Catholic HS) would generate multiple chances in the first overtime but none would find their target. In all the Green and Blue would outshoot the Owls 5-2 in the first OT. Parker would generate three chances in all, two of which would be saved by Sturdivant.

FGCU came out in the second OT and applied instant pressure to the KSU defense. Paulina Speckmaier (Miami, Fla./Gulliver Prep/University of Florida) generated the first and last shots of the period but none would find the promised land.

By the end of the second OT the Eagles had collected a shots lead of 21-8. FGCU would dominate the corner kicks as well, 12-3. Olivia Sturdivant make six saves while Brown only needed to make two. Parker and Speckmaier along with Tabby Tindell (Ocala, Fla./Trinity Catholic HS) registered the most shots for the Green and Blue with five each.

The regular season finale for the Green and Blue at Stetson next Saturday (Oct. 26) is scheduled for 5 p.m. Following that contest the Eagles will not take the field again until the A-Sun tournament on Friday, Nov. 8.