FORT MYERS, Fla. - Junior Courtney Chihil (Tipp City, Ohio/Alter HS) led the FGCU women’s basketball squad to a 73-69 win over Big Ten foe Indiana last week, and for her performance, she received a late Christmas gift and picked up her first A-Sun Player of the Week honor, the conference office announced on Tuesday.
Chihil nearly recorded a triple-double as the Eagles drained 15 three-pointers en route to the Blue and Green’s third win over a BCS school this season (Seton Hall and Virginia Tech). The Tipp City, Ohio native finished with 14 points and added 12 assists and nine rebounds on 5-of-9 shooting from the field and 2-of-3 from long range in a team-high 38 minutes.
Chihil’s 12 assists were the most in a single-game since the program joined Division I in 2007-08 and helped the Eagles finish with a positive assist/turnover ratio (18-16) for the sixth time this season.
The Blue and Green (9-0, 2-0 A-Sun) will return to the court on Monday, Jan. 3 when they play host to Belmont in their A-Sun home opener. Tipoff at Alico Arena is set for 5:15 p.m.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Courtney Chihil, FGCU (Guard – Jr. – Tipp City, Ohio – Nursing)
• First A-Sun Player of the Week award
• Nearly recorded a triple-double in a win against Indiana; 14 points, 12 assists and 9 rebounds
• Added two steals and shot .556 from the field
• The win against the Hoosiers marked third win for Eagles against a BCS-conference program
• Extended home-winning streak to 28 games, the third longest in the nation
For all the latest news on FGCU Athletics, follow us on Twitter at Twitter.com/FGCUEagles and become a fan on Facebook.