Women's Hoop 5th in Final Regional Rankings
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The NCAA Division II Women's Basketball Committee has released its final weekly Division II women's basketball regional rankings. Florida Gulf Coast University women’s basketball team remains fifth. The NCAA will announce the 64-team national championship tournament field on Sunday evening.
The top eight teams in each of the eight NCAA Division II regions at the end of the season receive bids to the 64-team national championship tournament. To be considered for the national tournament, each team must play at least 16 games against teams within its region. Each of the conference tournament champions from the Sunshine State Conference, Gulf South Conference and Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference will receive automatic bids to the field. Seven Gulf South Conference members are included in this week's top-10.
FGCU, which has won 16 consecutive games, won the 2006 National Independent Tournament championship at Alico Arena last weekend to close its regular season schedule. The Eagles are currently ranked No. 12 in the USA Today/ESPN Division II Coaches Top-25 Poll.
FGCU is tops among all 263 Division II teams in scoring margin at 28.1 points and fourth in win/loss percentage (96.6). Defensively, the Eagles are second nationally in scoring defense, holding opponents to 46.3 points per game, and fourth in field goal percentage defense by holding the opposition to 32..3% shooting from the floor. The Eagles are also seventh in rebounding margin at 9.1. 8.8. Offensively, they are seventh in three-pointers made per game at 7.0.
South Region Rankings (as of 3/01/06)
1. Delta State (GSC: 21-2, 21-2 region)
2. Henderson State (GSC: 21-2, 21-2 region)
3. Fort Valley State (SIAC:21-0, 21-0 region)
4. Rollins (SSC: 23-0, 20-0 region)
5. Florida Gulf Coast (Ind: 28-1, 19-1 region)
6. West Florida (GSC: 19-4, 17-3 region)
7. Arkansas-Monticello (GSC: 13-11, 13-10 region)
8. West Georgia (GSC: 17-9, 15-6 region)
9. Central Arkansas (GSC: 15-9, 10-7 region)
10. Valdosta State (GSC: 15-9, 14-7 region)