JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Behind its continued strong singles play, the FGCU men’s tennis team fell just short of handing No. 66 North Florida its first Atlantic Sun defeat of the season as it lost 4-3 in a closely-contested match Sunday afternoon at the UNF Tennis Complex.
The Eagles nearly bounced back from losing the doubles point by becoming just the second team in conference play to win three singles matches against the Ospreys. FGCU is now 10-9 overall and 4-3 in the A-Sun, while UNF stands at 12-7 and 6-0 in league action.
“I’m happy about the fight the guys are putting out there on a consistent basis,” said head coach C.J. Weber, who has guided FGCU to its first 10-win season since the program’s inaugural Division I campaign in 2007-08. “I’m pretty proud of our doubles effort today against a great UNF doubles lineup. The difference today was that they played better in the big moments.”
FGCU took its first lead of the match with wins at No. 1 and No. 4 singles for a 2-1 advantage. Sophomore Jordi Vives (Barcelona, Spain/IES Ferran Tallada/USC) posted back-to-back 6-1 wins against Moritz Buerchner at the top spot to improve to 5-2 in A-Sun action. All five of Vives’ wins in A-Sun action have come in straight sets, as he’s only given up 18 games over that span.
“Jordi picked up a great win today in convincing fashion against one of the top guys in the A-Sun,” Weber stated. “He played with great energy and determination all day.”
“Today was a great match,” said Vives. “We competed well and gave ourselves a chance to win at the end. We have to keep learning from these experiences and gear up to play our best tennis down the stretch heading into the tournament. I believe in this team.”
UNF quickly regained the lead and clinched the match point by responding with the next three singles victories at the No. 3, No. 5 and No. 6 spots.
FGCU will conclude regular season action on Saturday, April 13 at in-state foe Stetson. The Eagles and Hatters (5-2) are separated by one game in the A-Sun standings.
No. 66 UNF 4, FGCU 3
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 5, 3, 6, 2
1. Jordi Vives (FGCU) def. Moritz Buerchner (UNF) – 6-1, 6-1
2. Tianyu Bao (FGCU) def. Daniel Sotomarino (UNF) – 6-2, 4-6, ret.
3. Julien Belair (UNF) def. Dean Tsamas (FGCU) – 6-3, 6-3
4. Jackson Moore (FGCU) def. Pedro Davisson (UNF) – 3-6, 2-1, ret.
5. Leonardo Nahar (UNF) def. Lance Lvovsky (FGCU) – 6-3, 6-4
6. Timo Kranz (UNF) def. Gabe Echeverry (FGCU) – 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Buerchner/Belair (UNF) def. Vives/Tsamas (FGCU) – 8-4
2. Nemcsek/Sotomarino (UNF) def. Bao/Lvovsky (FGCU) – 8-6
3. Davisson/Nahar (UNF) def. Beiler/Moore (FGCU) – 8-6