JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – To close the 2011 spring season, the FGCU men’s tennis team traveled to Jacksonville, Fla. on Saturday for a meeting with No. 73 UNF. The Eagles fell to the Ospreys, 7-0, in the A-Sun dual.
FGCU finished the spring campaign with a 3-18 (1-9 A-Sun) record, while UNF moved to 13-6 (8-1 A-Sun) with four competitions remaining.
Picking up a win in the No.1 doubles match, the FGCU duo of senior Carlo Checchia (Sao Paulo, Brazil/Ceteb/Coastal Carolina University) and junior Matthew Rock (Fort Lauderdale, Fla./Jacksonville University) prevented the sweep of doubles action with a 8-3 victory over the UNF team of Beauregard Treyz and Anton Rabinov. The Ospreys took the remaining two contests to take the opening point.
After picking up the first set 7-5, freshman Dean Tsamas (Lexington, Ky./Henry Clay HS) was turned away in a three-setter with Pedro Davisson, 5-7, 6-1, 6-1, in the No. 4 singles contest. Recording wins in each of the singles competitions on the afternoon, UNF went on to the 7-0 dual match victory.
With the season now concluded, the Eagles look ahead to their first year of postseason eligibility during the 2011-12 campaign. The Blue and Green are set to return seven student-athletes next season.
1. Hleb Maslau (UNF) def. Matthew Rock (FGCU), 6-3, 6-0
2. Moritz Buerchner (UNF) def. Steve Binninger (FGCU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Daniel Sotomarino (UNF) def. Carlo Checchia (FGCU), 6-1, 6-3
4. Pedro Davisson (UNF) def. Dean Tsamas (FGCU), 5-7, 6-1, 6-1
5. Leonardo Nahar (UNF) def. Frank Acierno (FGCU), 6-0, 6-1
6. Beauregard Treyz (UNF) def. Mitchell Lvovsky (FGCU), 6-1, 6-3
1. Rock and Checchia (FGCU) def. Treyz and Anton Rabinov (UNF), 8-3
2. Sotomarino and Maslau (UNF) def. Binninger and Acierno (FGCU), 8-0
3. Davisson and Buerchner (UNF) def. Tsamas and Collin Brown (FGCU), 8-0