JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The FGCU men’s tennis team headed to Jacksonville, Fla. for an Atlantic Sun Conference dual with Jacksonville on Friday. Seniors Carlo Checchia (Sao Paulo, Brazil/Ceteb/Coastal Carolina University) and Mitchell Lvovsky (Dania Beach, Fla./Keystone HS/Wingate University) each recorded singles wins as the Eagles fell to the Dolphins, 5-2.
The Eagles fell to 3-17 (1-8 A-Sun) this spring, while the Dolphins improved to 5-12 (3-5 A-Sun) this year.
Jacksonville took the opening doubles point by sweeping the three paired contests. In a close No. 3 contest, the senior duo of Steve Binninger (St. Augustine, Fla./Saint Joseph Academy) and Frank Acierno (Palm Coast, Fla./Flagler Palm Coast HS) were turned away by JU’s Fernando Bano-Lopez and Matthew Hansen, 8-5.
Following the transition to singles action, the Blue and Green were able to put two points on the scoreboard. In the No. 3 contest, Checchia defeated Lance Lvovsky in a three-set match, 2-6, 6-2, 6-1. The Eagles also recorded in a win in the No. 6 competion as Mitchell Lvovsky turned away Logan Shalmi in another three-setter 3-6, 6-3, 7-5.
FGCU will be back in action for the final match of the 2011 spring season, as it takes the courts with UNF on Saturday beginning at 1 p.m. The Ospreys (12-6, 7-1 A-Sun) extended their winning streak to five matches following a 6-1 defeat of Stetson on Friday.
Results and recaps from the 2011 spring finale will be available at www.FGCUAthletics.com following the match.
1. Fernando Bano Lopez (JU) def. Matthew Rock (FGCU), 1-6, 7-6, 6-0
2. Jose Fantova (JU) def. Steve Binninger (FGCU), 6-2, 6-0
3. Carlo Checchia (FGCU) def. Lance Lvovsky (JU), 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
4. Larry Condez (JU) def. Dean Tsamas (FGCU), 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
5. Matthew Hansen (JU) def. Frank Acierno (FGCU), 6-0, 6-4
6. Mitchell Lvovsky (FGCU) def. Logan Shalmi (JU), 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
1. Lance Lvovsky/Logan Shalmi (JU) def. Carlo Checchia/Dean Tsamas (FGCU), 8-2
2. Jose Fantova/Larry Condez (JU) def. Matthew Rock/Collin Brown (FGCU), 8-2
3. Fernando Bano Lopez/Matthew Hansen (JU) def. Steve Binninger/Frank Acierno (FGCU), 8-5