FORT MYERS, Fla. – On an afternoon honoring the senior trio of Mitchell Lvovsky (Dania Beach, Fla./Keystone HS/Wingate University), Carlo Checchia (Sao Paulo, Brazil/Ceteb/Coastal Carolina University) and Frank Acierno (Palm Coast, Fla./Flagler Palm Coast HS), the FGCU men’s tennis team was turned away by Brown in a 6-1 result. Lvovsky recorded the Eagles’ only point with a three-set singles win in his final competition at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
The Eagles record fell to 3-16 (1-7 A-Sun) with the loss while the Bears improved to 13-2 on the spring.
Brown was successful in each of the three doubles matches to jump out to a 1-0 lead. In a close No. 2 contest, sophomore Collin Brown (Tallahassee, Fla./Florida State University School) and junior Matthew Rock (Fort Lauderdale, Fla./Jacksonville University) came out on the wrong side of an 8-6 result against Brown’s Kendrick Au and Tom Deighton.
In singles action, the Bears took five of the six contests in the dual meeting. Lvovsky was able to put the Blue and Green on the board with his victory in the No. 5 matchup. In the three-set competition, the Dania Beach, Fla. native recorded a 3-6, 6-3, 10-6 victory over Deighton in the final home contest of his collegiate career.
The Eagles will return to action for the final two regular season contests of the 2011 campaign. The Blue and Green will travel to Jacksonville, Fla. for a pair of Atlantic Sun Conference duals, competing with Jacksonville on April 1 at 10 a.m. followed with an April 2 meeting against UNF beginning at 1 p.m. Results at recaps from both competitions will be available at www.FGCUAthletics.com following each contest.
1. Azargui and Burke (Brown) def. Checchia and Tsamas (FGCU), 8-1
2. Au and Deighton (Brown) def. Brown and Rock (FGCU), 8-6
3. Charlie Posner and Fife (Brown) def. Binninger and Acierno (FGCU), 8-2
1. Mike Hill (Brown) def. Matthew Rock (FGCU), 6-2, 6-2
2. Brandon Burke (Brown) def. Steve Binninger (FGCU), 6-1, 6-0
3. Sam Fife (Brown) def. Carlo Checchia (FGCU), 6-2, 6-1
4. Kendrick Au (Brown) def. DeanTsamas (FGCU), 6-0, 6-3
5. Mitchell Lvovsky (FGCU) def. Tom Deighton (Brown), 3-6, 6-3, 10-6
6. Soufian Azargui (Brown) def. Frank Acierno (FGCU), 6-0, 6-0