JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. – Returning to Atlantic Sun action following a pair of non-conference matches, the FGCU men’s tennis team fell to ETSU on Friday afternoon in Johnson City, Tenn., 7-0.
The loss dropped the Eagles’ record to 3-15 (1-7 A-Sun) this spring, while ETSU improved to 11-6 (5-1 A-Sun) on the year.
ETSU jumped out to the early 1-0 lead after taking the opening doubles point. The FGCU team of freshman Dean Tsamas (Lexington, Ky./Henry Clay HS) and senior Carlo Checchia (Sao Paulo, Brazil/Ceteb/Coastal Carolina University) were defeated by the ETSU pair of Charles Bottoni and Grega Teraz, 8-3, and the senior duo of Mitchell Lvovsky (Dania Beach, Fla./Keystone HS/Wingate University) and Matthew Rock (Fort Lauderdale, Fla./Jacksonville University) were turned away by Sander Gille and Robin Akser, 8-2.
The Bucs continued to record points as the match switched to singles play, taking each of the contests on the afternoon. In the No. 3 matchup, Checchia was defeated by Jeremy Bonnevalle, 6-3, 7-6, and Tsamas was bested by Akser, 7-6, 6-2, in the No. 4 meeting.
FGCU lands back at the FGCU Tennis Complex for Senior Day on Sunday beginning at 12 p.m. In the final home match of the 2011 season, the Eagles will compete against Brown. The Bears will bring a 12-2 record to Fort Myers for the dual contest. Results and recaps from the competition will be available at www.FGCUAthletics.com following the match.
1. Jesus Bandres (ETSU) def. Matthew Rock (FGCU), 6-1, 4-0, retired
2. Roger Ordeig (ETSU) def. Steve Binninger (FGCU), 6-0, 6-1
3. Jeremy Bonnevalle (ETSU) def. Carlo Checchia (FGCU), 6-3, 7-6
4. Robin Akser (ETSU) def. Dean Tsamas (FGCU), 7-6, 6-2
5. Jorge Varon (ETSU) def. Mitchell Lvovsky (FGCU), 6-2, 6-1
6. ETSU def. FGCU, by forfeit
1. Bottoni and Teraz (ETSU) def. Tsamas and Checchia (FGCU), 8-3
2. Gille and Akser (ETSU) def. Lvovsky and Rock (FGCU), 8-2
3. ETSU def. FGCU, by forfeit