FORT MYERS, Fla. – On Saturday afternoon at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the FGCU men’s tennis team fell in a close contest with Atlantic Sun Conference foe Lipscomb, 4-3. Seniors Carlo Checchia (Sao Paulo, Brazil/Ceteb/Coastal Carolina University) and Mitchell Lvovsky (Dania Beach, Fla./Keystone HS/Wingate University), and freshman Dean Tsamas (Lexington, Ky./Henry Clay HS) each recorded singles victories in the dual meeting.
The loss pushed the Eagles’ record to 3-12 (1-6 A-Sun) on the year and improved Lipscomb’s mark dropped to 6-6 (3-2).
“We competed very well in singles this afternoon,” said head coach J. Webb Horton. “Our inability to win the doubles point really hurt us today.”
Winning all three paired contests, the Bisons took the opening doubles point. In close matches, Checchia and Tsamas fell to Joe McArdle and Oliver Strecker, 8-6, in the No. 1 spot, and the FGCU duo of Collin Brown (Tallahassee, Fla./Florida State University School) and Matthew Rock (Fort Lauderdale, Fla./Jacksonville University) dropped an 8-5 contest with Colby Shaw and Miguel Cortez in the No. 2 meeting.
The Eagles recorded their three points when the dual switched to singles play, as Checchia got the scoring started with a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Chad Pierron at No. 3. Tsamas also tallied a win in his No. 4 contest, leading 3-0 in the second set when Tanner Brown was forced to retire. Also putting a point on the board for the Blue and Green, Lvovsky turned away Colby Shaw, 0-6, 7-5, 10-8, at No. 6 singles.
Returning to the courts for back-to-back duals, the Eagles will matchup against UMBC (9-3) on Monday and Northwestern (8-5) on Tuesday, both beginning at 1 p.m. at the FGCU Tennis Complex. Results and recaps from the competition will be available at www.FGCUAthletics.com following the match.
1. Joe McArdle and Strecker, Oliver (LIP) def. Checchia and Tsamas (FGCU), 8-6
2. Shaw and Cortez (LIP) def. Brown and Rock (FGCU), 8-5
3. Brown and Salazar (LIP) def. Binninger and Acierno (FGCU), 8-2
1. Oliver Strecker (LIP) def. Matthew Rock (FGCU), 6-4, 6-3
2. David Salazar (LIP) def. Steve Binninger (FGCU), 6-0, 6-2
3. Carlo Checchia (FGCU) def. Chad Pierron (LIP), 6-2, 6-1
4. Dean Tsamas (FGCU) def. Tanner Brown (LIP), 4-6, 3-0, retired
5. Miguel Cortez (LIP) def. Collin Brown (FGCU), 6-1, 6-1
6. Mitchell Lvovsky (FGCU) def. Colby Shaw (LIP), 0-6, 7-5, 10-8