MACON, Ga. – Competing in an Atlantic Sun Conference contest in Macon, Ga., the FGCU men’s tennis team fell to Mercer on Saturday afternoon. The Eagles earned a victory in the No. 1 doubles position, but it wasn’t enough as the Bears took the 7-0 victory.
In the losing effort, the Eagles moved to 2-10 (0-5 A-Sun) this spring, while the Bears improved to 6-6 (3-1 A-Sun).
Opening with doubles play, the Eagles took the No. 1 contest as the pair of senior Carlo Checchia (Sao Paulo, Brazil/Ceteb/Coastal Carolina University) and freshman Dean Tsamas (Lexington, Ky./Henry Clay HS) defeated the Mercer duo of Peter Tauchner and Evandro Rosindo, 8-5. The Bears would take the No. 2 and No. 3 contests to claim the opening doubles point.
Mercer would go on to sweep the day’s singles action en route to the 7-0 victory.
The Eagles land back at home for a dual match with visiting Samford on Monday, March 14 beginning at 1 p.m. Results and recaps from the competition will be available at www.FGCUAthletics.com following the match.
1. Pierre Tafelski (MER) def. Matthew Rock (FGCU), 6-0, 6-0
2. Peter Tauchner (MER) def. Steve Binninger (FGCU), 6-3, 6-4
3. Fernando Armendaris (MER) def. Carlo Checchia (FGCU), 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
4. Evandro Rosindo (MER) def. Dean Tsamas (FGCU), 6-2, 6-2
5. Guilherme Frias (MER) def. Collin Brown (FGCU), 6-3, 6-0
6. David Barton (MER) def. No player (FGCU), by default
1. Carlo Checchia and Dean Tsamas (FGCU) def. Peter Tauchner and Evandro Rosindo (MER), 8-5
2. Pierre Tafelski and David Barton (MER) def. Steve Binninger and Mitchell Lvovsky (FGCU), 8-2
3. Fernando Armendaris and Guilherme Frias (MER) def. Collin Brown and Matthew Rock (FGCU), 8-0