|Men's Tennis » News||» News » Schedule » Roster » Coaches » Statistics » Archive|
Camels Turn Away Eagles in Men's Tennis Dual
FORT MYERS, Fla. – In the Atlantic Sun home opener against No. 70 Campbell, the FGCU men’s tennis team was on the wrong side of a 7-0 result on Thursday afternoon at the FGCU Tennis Complex. The doubles pair of senior Carlo Checchia (Sao Paulo, Brazil/Ceteb/Coastal Carolina University) and freshman Dean Tsamas (Lexington, Ky./Henry Clay HS) picked up a win at the No. 2 spot.
“Our team played an incredible match against one of the top teams in the A-Sun,” said head coach J. Webb Horton. “We won at No. 2 doubles and had chances at No. 1 doubles to take the doubles point. The match was decided by four three-set matches. I cannot question our heart and our competitive spirit.”
With the loss the Eagles’ record drops to 0-6 (0-2 A-Sun) on the year, while the Camels move to 7-1 (1-0 A-Sun) this spring.
The Eagles played closely with the Camels to open the afternoon doubles play, coming away with a victory in the No. 2 position. Campbell went on to take the opening doubles point and followed with wins in each of the afternoon’s singles competitions en route to the 7-0 win.
FGCU will return to the court on Saturday for another A-Sun conference dual with USC Upstate at the FGCU Tennis Complex beginning at 10 a.m. Results and recaps from the competition will be available at www.FGCUAthletics.com following the match.
1. Davy Sum (CU) def. Matt Rock (FGCU), 6-1, 6-0
2. Larbi Lamzouri (CU) def. Gabriel Echeverry (FGCU), 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. Fernando Guillen (CU) def. Carlo Checchia (FGCU), 6-4, 3-6, 6-0
4. Dominik Kaniewski (CU) def. Steve Binninger (FGCU), 6-3, 6-0
5. David Clavera (CU) def. Dean Tsamas (FGCU), 4-6, 6-0, 6-3
6. James Jones (CU) def. Mitchell Lvovsky (FGCU), 7-6 (3), 3-6, 10-6
1. Sum and Kaniewski (CU) def. Rock and Echeverry (FGCU), 8-4
2. Checchia and Tsamas (FGCU) def. Guillen and Lamzouri (CU), 8-3
3. Ondrej Kralik and Josep Baro (CU) def. Binninger and Collin Brown (FGCU), 8-3