BOCA RATON, Fla. – The eighth-ranked Florida Gulf Coast University men’s tennis team upset fourth-ranked Lynn University 5-4 in a battle of NCAA Division II top-10 teams on Monday. The win was a school-record 18th for FGCU, which had won 17 matches a year ago. The Eagles (18-4) closed out the regular season with four wins in their last five matches.
FGCU benefited once again from its strong doubles play. The Eagles picked up wins at No. 2 doubles as juniors Juan Carlos Osorio (Quito, Ecuador) and Tim Offerman (Hamburg, Germany) won their 18th match with an 8-4 win. In No. 3 doubles, senior Seth Fogelman (Naples, Fla.) and sophomore Alberto Gutierrez (Bogotá, Columbia) were 8-5 victors to finish with a record of 10-5. The No. 19 tandem of seniors Richard Stempnowski (Cape Coral, Fla.) and Jose Pastrello (Limeira, Brazil) fell to the No. 2 doubles team of Jan Macko and Eduardo Morones 8-4 to close the season with a 20-4 record.
Seventh-ranked Stempnowski led the Eagles in singles play, winning his school-record 20th match of the season, with a two-set 7-5, 6-0 win over ninth ranked Aivarus Balzekas. Osorio bounced back from his only defeat of the season on Saturday to post a 6-1, 6-2 win at No. 3 singles over Regnier Azevedo to finish the season 18-1 in dual matches.
The Eagles pulled out the record-setting win when Offerman won in two sets at No. 6 singles, 6-3 and 6-1, over Daniel Zednik. Offerman closes the regular season with a 15-5 dual match record.
The Eagles likely secured one of the eight positions in the NCAA Division II Southeast Region championship tournament scheduled for campus sites beginning May 5.
1. Richard Stempnowski (FGCU) def. Aivarus Balzekas (LU) 7-5, 6-0
2. Eduardo Morones (LU) def. Jose Pastrello (FGCU) 7-5, 6-4
3. Juan Carlos Osorio (FGCU) def. Regnier Azevedo (LU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Jan Macko (LU) def. Alberto Gutierrez (FGCU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Dennis Riegrag (LU) def. Seth Fogelman (FGCU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Tim Offerman (FGCU) def. Daniel Zednik (LU) 6-3, 6-1
1. Macko/Morones (LU) def. Stempnowski/Pastrello (FGCU) 8-4
2. Osorio/Offerman (FGCU) def. Azevedo/Balzekas (LU) 8-4
3. Fogelman/Gutierrez (FGCU) def. Riegraf/Verduin (LU) 8-5