FGCU Men's Tennis Shuts out Franklin Pierce
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The No. 16 Florida Gulf Coast University men’s tennis team picked up its fourth straight win with a 9-0 blanking of Franklin Pierce College Sunday afternoon at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
The shutout was the ninth of the year for the Eagles, who improve to 12-2. FGCU lost just three games in three pro-set doubles wins and captured all six singles matches in straight sets.
Doubles winners included seniors Richard Stempnowski (Cape Coral, FL) and Jose Pastrello (Limiera, Brazil) in the first position, juniors Juan Carlos Osorio (Equito, Ecuador) and Tim Offerman (Hamburg, Germany) in the second position, and freshman Gavin Manders (Warwick, Bermuda) and senior Seth Fogelman (Naples, FL) in the third position.
Stempnowski, Pastrello, Osorio, Offerman and Fogelman were repeat winners in singles play. Freshman Chris Caswell (Lakeland, FL) won his second career match in as many tries with a win at No. 6 singles.
The Eagles will host the Colorado School of Mines tomorrow afternoon at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
1. Richard Stempnowski (FGCU) def. Arun Lazarus (FPC) 6-2, 6-0
2. Jose Pastrello (FGCU) def. Helder Nogueira (FPC) 6-2, 6-2
3. Juan Osorio (FGCU) def. Maciei Szpakowski (FPC) 6-1, 6-1
4. Tim Offerman(FGCU) def. Austin Gardella (FPC) 6-2, 6-1
5. Seth Fogelman (FGCU) def. Eliot McLellan (FPC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Chris Caswell (FGCU) def. Ryan Jones (FPC) 6-1, 6-0
1. Stempnowski/Pastrello (FGCU) def. Gardella/Nogueira (FPC) 8-2
2. Osorio/Offerman (FGCU) def. Szpakowski/Lazarus (FPC) 8-1
3. Fogelman/Manders (FGCU) def. Morgan/Jones (FPC) 8-0