FGCU Men's Tennis Cruises Past Indianapolis
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The No. 16 Florida Gulf Coast University men’s tennis team returned to its winning ways with a 9-0 win Monday afternoon over the University of Indianapolis at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
The Eagles, who had a five-match winning streak snapped over the weekend, won every set en route to their sixth shutout of the spring.
The top five players in the lineup picked up two wins apiece for the Eagles. Seniors Richard Stempnowski (Cape Coral, FL) and Jose Pastrello (Limiera, Brazil) picked up a win at No. 1 doubles before winning at No. 1 and No. 2 singles, respectively. Sophomore Alberto Gutierrez (Bogotá, Columbia) and senior Seth Fogelman (Naples, FL) picked up an 8-2 win at No.3 before winning at No. 4 and No. 5 singles, respectively. Junior Juan Carlos Osorio (Quito, Ecuador) teamed with classmate Tim Offerman (Hamburg, Germany) for a win at No.2 doubles before picking up a 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 3 singles.
Junior Juan Freshman Gavin Manders (Warwick, Bermuda) was a 6-1, 6-0 winner at No. 6 singles.
FGCU (9-2) is back in action Wednesday afternoon against Bentley College at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
1. Richard Stempnowski (FGCU) def. Ross Johnson (UI) 7-6(1), 6-2
2. Jose Pastrello (FGCU) def. Ketan Saggar (UI) 6-2, 6-0
3. Juan Osorio (FGCU) def. Alan Dowell (UI) 6-1, 6-0
4. Alberto Gutierrez (FGCU) def. Justin Linder (UI) 6-0, 6-2
5. Seth Fogelman (FGCU) def. Dustin Guthrie (UI) 6-2, 6-2
6. Gavin Manders (FGCU) def. Jordan Hamilton (UI) 6-1, 6-0
1. Stempnowski/Pastrello (FGCU) def. Guthrie/Johnson (UI) 8-6
2. Osorio/Offerman (FGCU) def. Saggar/Dowell (UI) 8-1
3. Gutierrez/Fogelman (FGCU) def. Rojas/Hamilton (UI) 8-2