FGCU Men's Tennis Blanks Lehigh University
FORT MYERS, Fla. – For the fourth straight match, the No. 17 Florida Gulf Coast University men’s tennis team posted a shutout with a 9-0 win Tuesday afternoon over Division I Lehigh University at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
FGCU (7-1), which has swept a match five times this spring, had six players pick up two wins apiece.
Senior Richard Stempnowski (Cape Coral, FL) and senior Jose Pastrello (Limiera, Brazil) won their eighth straight match at No. 1 doubles before winning singles matches at No.1 and No. 2 singles, respectively.
Juniors Juan Carlos Osorio (Quito, Ecuador) and Tim Offerman (Hamburg, Germany) picked up their sixth win at No. 2 doubles before winning at No. 3 and No. 5 singles. Sophomore Alberto Gutierrez (Bogotá, Columbia) and senior Seth Fogelman (Naples, FL) improved to 6-0 with a win at No. 3 doubles. Gutierrez won at No. 4 singles and Fogelman at No. 6 singles to complete the sweep.
FGCU hosts Palm Beach Atlantic on Thursday afternoon at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
1. Richard Stempnowski (FGCU) def. Ty Esler (LU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Jose Pastrello (FGCU) def. Randall Smalley (LU) 7-5, 6-0
3. Juan Osorio (FGCU) def. Peter Llyod (LU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Alberto Gutierrez (FGCU) def. Alfredo Fernadez-Concha (LU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Tim Offerman (FGCU) def. Brad Nelson (LU) 7-5, 6-2
6. Seth Fogelman (FGCU) def. John Nespoli (LU) 6-3, 6-4
1. Stempnowski/Pastrello (FGCU) def. Esler/Smalley (LU) 8-6
2. Osorio/Offerman (FGCU) def. Shapiro/Fernandez-Concha (LU) 8-4
3. Gutierrez/Fogelman (FGCU) def. Llyod/Nelson (LU) 9-7