FGCU Men's Tennis Tops Embry-Riddle 5-4
FORT MYERS – #17 Florida Gulf Coast University won a hard-fought 5-4 victory over the Embry-Riddle in men’s college tennis action Tuesday afternoon.
FGCU won two of the three doubles matches and followed up with wins at three of the six singles matches, including a win by senior Richard Stempnowski (Cape Coral, FL) over Costin Corneau, currently the second ranked singles player in NAIA play. Stempnowski, ranked 6th in Division II, improved his career singles record to 49-13. The Eagles also collected singles victories from junior Juan Carlos Osorio (Quito, Ecuador) and freshman Gavin Manders (Warwick, Bermuda). Manders rallied for a 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 win in the final match of the day.
The doubles wins came from Stempnowski and senior Jose Pastrello (Limeira, Brazil) at No.1 over Corneau and Nicolas Bousquet, the #1 doubles team in NAIA, and Osorio and junior Tim Offerman (Hamburg, Germany) at No.2.
FGCU, now 2-0, returns home on Sunday, February 20 to host Webber International at the FGCU Tennis Complex at noon.
1. Richard Stempnowski (FGCU) def. Costin Corneanu (ERU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Mislav Hizak (ERU) def. Jose Pastrello (FGCU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Juan Carlos Osorio (FGCU) def. Nicolas Bousquet (ERU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Evan Specht (ERU) def. Tim Offerman (FGCU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Konstantin Lazarov (ERU) def. Seth Fogelman (FGCU) 6-2, 6-7(5), 7-5
6. Gavin Manders (FGCU) def. Tomoaki Yasuda (ERU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
1. Stempnowski/Pastrello (FGCU) def. Corneanu/Bousquet (ERU) 8-5
2. Osorio/Offerman (FGCU) def. Yasuda/Hizak (ERU) 8-6
3. Specht/Lazarov (ERU) def. Fogelman/Manders (FGCU) 9-7