Men’s Tennis Defeats In-State Rival FAU, 5-2
FORT MYERS, Fla. – After dropping the doubles point, the FGCU men’s tennis team used five singles victories to defeat in-state rival FAU, 5-2 at the FGCU Tennis Complex Friday night.
The Green and Blue move to 5-5 on the season while FAU drops to 4-8.
The Owls came out strong in doubles taking both the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles matches. The team of juniors Dean Tsamas (Lexington, Ky./Henry Clay HS) and Lance Lvovsky (Dania, Fla./Broward Virtual School/Jacksonville) took the only doubles victory for FGCU, defeating Sean Bacha and Matthew Samberg, 8-0 in the No. 3 spot.
After losing the doubles point, the Eagles got singles victories from sophomores Jordi Vives (Barcelona, Spain/IES Ferran Tallada/USC) and Tianyu Bao (Tianjin, China/Bayshore HS-FL) senior Jackson Moore (Bradenton, Fla./Lakewood Ranch HS/Georgia State) and Tsamas and Lvovsky.
Moore garnered the first singles victory of the night when he defeated Samberg, 6-3, 6-1. Lvovsky followed with a 6-4, 6-2 defeat of Bacha. The Green and Blue then dropped the only singles point of the game when Robert Dubuque defeated junior Gabriel Echeverry (Popayan, Colombia/Gimnasio Calibrio), 6-2, 6-3. The Eagles then took three straight singles matches with Bao winning the match-clinching point when he defeated Will Neuner after dropping the first set, 4-6, 7-5, 6-3.
FGCU will be back in action Saturday, when they travel to Coral Cables, Fla. to take on No. 67 Miami.
FGCU 1, Lipscomb
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3
1. Jordi Vives (FGCU) def. Jose Fantova (FAU) – 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
2. Tianyu Bao (FGCU) def. Will Neuner (FAU) – 4-6, 7-5, 6-3
3. Dean Tsamas (FGCU) def. A. M.-Kougoucheff (FAU) – 7-6 (7-3), 6-7 (4-7), 6-0
4. Jackson Moore (FGCU) def. Matthew Samberg (FAU) – 6-3, 6-1
5. Lance Lvovsky (FGCU) def. Sean Bacha (FAU) – 6-4, 6-2
6. Robert Dubuque (FAU) def. Gabe Echeverry (FGCU) – 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Fantova/Neuner (FAU) def. Vives/Moore (FGCU) – 8-6
2. M.Kougoucheff/Dubuque (FAU) def. Bao/Beiler (FGCU) – 8-6
3. Tsmas/Lvovsky (FGCU) def. Shaw/Brown (Lipscomb) 8-0
|Copyright ©2013 Florida Gulf Coast Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|