Men's Soccer Plays Furman to 2-2 Draw at Diadora/Spinx Invite
Friday, September 11, 2009 | by Caleb Baker

GREENVILLE, S.C – In the opening game of the Diadora/Spinx Invitational, the FGCU Men’s Soccer team played Furman University to a 2-2 draw. Cristian Raudales and Westin Vallentine both scored goals for the Eagles.

With the tie, FGCU moves to 1-2-1 on the season and Furman also moves to 1-2-1 on the year.

"It was a very good college soccer game at an outstanding venue," said head coach Bob Butehorn. "Our group showed character and determination coming from behind to obtain a respectable result. We're looking forward to playing the College of Charleston on Sunday."

The Paladins got on the board first, scoring a goal in the 43rd minute when Mark Gabriel poked one past keeper Matthew Smith (Cape Canaveral, Fla.) from inside the six yard box, on an assist from Nicky MacKain.

The closely contested first half ended with Furman leading 1-0 heading into intermission.

The Eagles answered back in the second half on a 23 yard deflection goal by Sophomore Raudales (Bradenton, Fla.), his second goal on the year, to knot the game at 1-1 in the 72nd minute.

FGCU put one on the board for a second time when Freshman Jelani Smith (Mississauga, Canada) assisted Freshman Vallentine (Spring, Texas) on his first collegiate goal in the 82nd minute, giving the Eagles the lead 2-1.

The Eagles’ lead was short lived as they allowed the Paladins to level the score at 2-2 when Nasarachi Onyeuku headed a ball into the back of the net in the 87th minute, on a cross pass from Debola Ogunseye.

The game headed into the first overtime with the score still even at 2-2.

In the first overtime, the Eagles were outshot 2-1 but neither team was able to find the back of the net for the game winning goal, sending the game to a second overtime period.

The second overtime was much like the first with neither team able to put one in goal. FGCU was unable to get a good look and was outshot 3-0 in last overtime frame. The Eagles were able to keep the game at 2-2 and end the game in a draw.

FGCU recorded eight shots on the evening, with three shots on goal, and six corner kicks. Smith tallied three saves on the night. Furman took 15 shots in the match, with six shots on goal, and nine corners.

The FGCU Men’s Soccer team will be back in action this Sunday, September 13th at 12 p.m. as they take on the College of Charleston in the second game of the Diadora/Spinx Invitational.