Eagles to Host Embassy Suites Classic this Weekend
Wednesday, September 17, 2008

FORT MYERS, Fla. - The FGCU Eagles Men's Soccer Team will be hosting the Embassy Suites Classic at FGCU’s Soccer Complex this weekend. The Embassy Suites Kick-Off Classic kicks off Friday night with the Eagles taking on Holy Cross at 7 p.m. On Sunday afternoon, the Eagles will face off against Fairfield at 1 p.m.

Series Information: First meeting(s).

Records: FGCU (1-3-1), Fairfield (1-2-0), Holy Cross (3-1-1)

Scouting Holy Cross
(Last Time Out: Holy Cross vs. Northeastern 9/13)
WORCESTER, Mass. - Senior defender Jerry Dickinson (Pittsburgh, Pa.) scored two goals in the second half, lifting the Holy Cross men’s soccer team to a 3-2 victory against Northeastern in non-conference action on Saturday night at the Linda Johnson Smith Soccer Stadium. With the victory, the Crusaders improve to 3-1-1 while Northeastern falls to 1-2-1.

At 14:00 into the first half, the Huskies’ Alexander Volk made a breakaway down the field, reaching inside the 18-yard box. Volk managed a shot only to have it ricochet off a defender. Grabbing the rebound, Volk kicked the ball into the low left corner, making the score 1-0.

Holy Cross evened the score with 8:41 left in the first half as senior Alejandro Melean (Miami, Fla.) sent a cross into the 18-yard box. Sophomore Kyle Miller (Woodbury, N.J.) headed the ball over Huskies’ goalkeeper Scott Partridge into the top left corner, making the score 1-1.

Northeastern took a 2-1 lead with an unassisted goal by Mike Kennedy at 72:14, but Dickinson quickly answered back just over two minutes later with a header into the net after a scramble inside the box.

Dickinson struck again for Holy Cross with 7:44 left in the game as he managed to get a clear shot into the left corner after a scrum broke out in front of the Northeastern goal.

Crusader goalkeeper Thomas Booth (Patchogue, N.Y.) recorded two saves while Scott Partridge made six stops.


Scouting Fairfield
(Last Time Out: Fairfield vs. Northeastern 9/8)
FAIRFIELD, Conn. -- After battling back to tie the game, the Fairfield University men’s soccer team surrendered a goal in the 77th minute of a 2-1 loss to Northeastern. The Stags tied the game in the 54th minute when Tom Clements tallied his first goal of the season.

There was plenty of action on both sides of the pitch, as Fairfield and Northeastern created many scoring chances throughout the game. Despite the creativity, it was three set plays that set up the game’s three goals rather than the free flow of play that was exhibited during the entire contest.

The Huskies had an excellent opportunity in the eighth minute as Alexander Volk took a cross from Nick Lueders and sent a shot to the lower left corner. Fairfield goalkeeper Justin Burse made a spectacular diving save that kept the game scoreless. Christian Uy used his quick feet to give Fairfield a chance at the game’s first goal, as the sophomore dribbled past one defender and released a shot that just sailed over the cross bar.

One minute later, Northeastern’s leading scorer Lewis Ehrlich deflected a clearing attempt by a Fairfield defender and the ball landed directly in front of him. Ehrlich went toward goal as Burse came out to cut down the angle. Burse won the battle by making another save as the game remained at 0-0.

Christian Uy nearly set up a Fairfield goal with a fine leading pass that would have hit Kwadwo Asante in stride if not for Northeastern goalkeeper Scott Partridge fully extending to break up the pass.

The Huskies finally broke through in the 42nd minute when Ehrlich was awarded a free kick 20 yards from goal. The ball was placed in the center of the field, giving the sophomore ample opportunity. He took full advantage by lifting the ball into the upper left corner of the goal for a 1-0 lead.

The Stags tied the game eight minutes into the second half when Mike Lentine sent a corner kick into the middle of the box. Tom Clements controlled the ball for a brief second before sending it past the goalkeeper to make the score 1-1.

Christian Uy nearly gave Fairfield the lead in the 64th minute when he secured a loose ball at the corner of the box, took one step, and released a shot that just missed the lower right corner.

Northeastern recorded the game-winning goal with under 14 minutes left in regulation as Matt Pentkowski came off the bench break the tie. A corner kick was redirected to Petur Vidarsson, who pushed the ball ot the left side of the box. Pentkowski hit a one-timer that caught the lower near side corner for a 2-1 advantage.

Burse made four saves in the Fairfield net, while Partridge was credited with one save.