|Men's Basketball » News||» News » Schedule » Roster » Coaches » Stats (PDF) » Stats (HTML) » Big Cypress Boys & Girls Basketball Clinic » Records » Archive|
@FGCU_MBB Set to Face Mercer in #ASunMBB Championship Saturday on ESPN2
|Florida Gulf Coast||38||50||88|
|Stats at a Glance||FGCU||MER|
|FG Percentage||.508 (30-59)||.388 (26-67)|
|3P FG Percentage||.550 (11-20)||.393 (11-28)|
|FT Percentage||.773 (17-22)||.706 (12-17)|
SMITH - 1
COURSEY - 1
GOLLON - 1
#2 FGCU (23-10) vs. #1 Mercer (23-10)
Round: Atlantic Sun Championship
Date | Time: Saturday, March 9, 2013 | 12:00 P.M.
City | Site: Macon, Ga. | Hawkins Arena (3,200)
Talent: Roy Philpott (P-B-P) & Dereck Whittenburg
Live Audio: FGCUATHLETICS.com
Talent: David Moulton (P-B-P) & J. Webb Horton
Live Stats: www.ATLANTICSUN.org
Twitter: @FGCU_MBB | @Pierson_SID | @ASun_Patrick
Hashtags: #MaconMadness | #ASUNMBB | #WeAreFGCU
Current Streak: W4
Last 5: 4-1
Last 10: 8-2
At A-Sun Tournament (App.): 4-1 (2)
Vs. Mercer | Season Series | Streak: 3-10 | 1-1 | W1
With A Win: A-Sun Automatic Qualifier
NCAA Selection Show - Mar. 17 at 6 P.M. (CBS)
STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#0 Brett Comer (G)
• A-Sun leader and 16th in the nation in assists per game (6.3).
• 208 assists are good for eighth in A-Sun single-season history.
• A-Sun active leader with nine double figure assist games.
• Third in the A-Sun in steals (1.5).
• Assisted on 55 of the team’s 132 dunks.
#2 Bernard Thompson (G)
• A-Sun Defensive Player of the Year.
• All 30 points in A-Sun Tournament have come in the second half.
• Second in the nation total steals (95) & fifth per game (2.88).
• Program record 95 steals are tied for third in A-Sun history.
• Ranks 10th in the A-Sun in scoring (14.1 ppg).
#25 Sherwood Brown (G)
• A-Sun Player of the Year and unanimous All-Conference pick.
• Top 10 in the A-Sun in scoring (15.2/7th) & rebounding (6.3/9th).
• Had 16 of his 18 points vs. Stetson in the semis in the first half.
• FGCU is 11-3 when he leads in scoring.
• First player in program history with 1000 points & 500 rebounds.
#20 Chase Fieler (F)
• A-Sun All-Conference second team selection.
• Averaging team-highs of 16.5 ppg & 7.5 rpg in A-Sun Tournament.
• Team leader with 53 dunks.
• Led the team in scoring 11 times after just twice in first two years.
• Reached double figures in 25 games, including eight in a row.
#12 Eric McKnight (F)
• Third in the A-Sun in total blocks (40) and fifth per game (1.2).
• Averaging 6.8 points and 4.7 rebounds in 21.0 minutes per.
• Second on the team with 33 dunks.
• 40 blocks are third in FGCU single-season history.
• Boasts a team-leading 61.2 field goal percentage.
@FGCU_MBB FAST BREAK FACTS
• Tied for the A-Sun lead with 23 wins; a program D1 record.
• Has now advanced to the A-Sun championship in first two years of Division I postseason eligibility.
• 4-1 in two appearances at the A-Sun Tournament.
• Haven’t trailed at the half in the last 19 games.
• Allowing 53.1 points per game and holding teams to 34 percent shooting over its last seven wins.
• A-Sun leader and 18th in the nation in steals (9.1), FGCU has double figure steals in five straight games and 17 times (14-3) on the year.
• Haven’t allowed more than 30 points in 12 of the last 18 halves.
• Haven’t trailed in nine games on the year.
• A-Sun leader in scoring (72.7), FGCU has scored 70+ points in 22 games and is 6-0 when scoring 80 points.
• Held a double-digit lead in 16 of the last 20 games.
• A perfect 13-0 when holding opponents under 60 points, including 8-0 in the A-Sun, and 8-1 when shooting 50 percent or better.
• As a team, FGCU has 132 dunks on the season.
• At least three players have reached double figures in 26 of the last 28 games, highlighted by five in five contests (5-0).
• 38 wins under head coach ANDY ENFIELD in the last two seasons compared to 39 in the previous four campaigns.
• 13 A-Sun regular wins were a program-best.
• 15-1 at Alico Arena this season, which equals the most home wins by an A-Sun team in the last five years; started the season with a program record D1 record nine straight victories.
• Had a program D1-best seven-game win streak over the last three games of January and first four of February.
Head Coach: Andy Enfield (Johns Hopkins ‘91)
Record at FGCU: 38-27 (2nd Season)
A-Sun Tournament Record: 4-1 (2nd Appearance)
A-Sun Record: 21-15 (2nd Season)
Head Coach: Bob Hoffman (Oklahoma Baptist ‘79)
Record at Mercer: 98-71 (5th Season)
A-Sun Tournament Record: 6-4 (5th Appearance)
A-Sun Record: 58-37 (5th Season)
THE ENFIELD INFLUENCE
FGCU’s 38 wins the last two seasons under coach Enfield are just two shy of the previous four seasons total. Known for his up-tempo style, Enfield’s offensive wisdom has led to 39 games (out of 65) with 70+ points, including 14 of 80+ compared to 40 performances (out of 121) of 70+ and 12 of 80+ over the previous four years (2007-11) combined.
SEASON SERIES VS. MERCER
• Split the two meetings with the home team taking both.
• Two games featured a combined 13 lead changes and 13 ties.
• Both games were one-possession contests with under a minute to play in regulation.
• Jan. 2nd meeting in Macon, Ga. went into overtime with Mercer prevailing, 77-70.
• Both teams shot 41 percent over the two games.
• FGCU’s biggest edge came on the glass where its combined 28 offensive rebounds led to a 39-20 edge in second chance points ... sports +5.5 margin vs. Mercer.
• Mercer’s edge was its 28-of-31 shooting from the free throw line over two games.
• Sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON averaged 15.0 points and 5.0 rebounds, while junior CHASE FIELER averaged 14.0 and 6.5 caroms.
HOW WE GOT HERE
A-SUN QUARTERFINALS - #2 FGCU 73, #7 UNF 63
Junior CHASE FIELER equaled a career-high with 22 points and sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON scored all 18 of his points in the final 12:53 as FGCU defeated UNF, 73-63, Wednesday afternoon. Fieler’s third 20-point game of the year came on 8-of-15 from the field, including a perfect 3-of-3 from three, and he also added a game-high nine rebounds. With FGCU holding a one possession lead, 59-56, with 6:24 to play, Thompson took over the game with a personal 9-0 run to give the Eagles their largest lead of the game (12), 68-56, with two minutes to play. Thompson’s 9-0 run was the tail end of 14 consecutive points by the league’s Defensive Player of the Year who hit 5-of-7 from the field and all five free throws during the 6:33 span.
A-SUN SEMIFINALS - #2 FGCU 72, #3 Stetson 58
For the second straight year FGCU will play in the Atlantic Sun championship game, as the Eagles used a 48-point second half and another stout 40-minute defensive effort to defeat Stetson, 72-58, Friday night in the semifinals. A-Sun Player of the Year SHERWOOD BROWN kept FGCU alive and even in the lead in the first half, scoring 16 of the team’s 24 points to help the Eagles take a 24-22 lead into the locker room after the first 20 minutes. The second half belonged to the Green and Blue, as a 9-0 run to open the frame put the lead into double figures for the first time at 33-22, but it was an 8-2 run midway through the half that made the double-digit advantage stay for good over the final 8:16 of the game. FGCU shot a scorching 55 percent (16-29) in the second half, committing just five turnovers and getting half (24) of their 48 second half points in the paint.
FGCU’S BIG THREE
FGCU leads the A-Sun in scoring at 72.7 points per game thanks to being one of three teams to have three or more players average double figures. Senior SHERWOOD BROWN (15.2), sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON (14.1) and junior CHASE FIELER (12.1) are the second-highest scoring trio in the A-Sun at 41.4 points per.
• Trio is averaging 47.5 points and 22.0 rebounds at the A-Sun Tournament which is 66 percent of the team’s scoring and 52 percent of the rebounding.
• Combined for 54 points in the A-Sun quarterfinal win over UNF, equaling a season-high that also came against the Ospreys on Jan. 31 and vs. Stetson on Jan. 25.
• Trio has reached double figures in the same game 15 times, including five of the last six.
• Account for 15 of the team’s 16 20 points games.
• Have a combined 80 double figures performances out of a possible 99 and one of the three has led the team in scoring in all but one game.
• FGCU is 5-1 when the trio combines for 50 or more points.
SUNSHINE STATE SUCCESS
Out of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Florida, the Eagles (23-10) trail only No. 9 Florida (24-5) and are tied with No. 6 Miami (23-6) for the most wins. FGCU is 9-0 against Division I teams from Florida, including one of Miami’s six losses.
(Records through Mar. 8)
Nine schools: 16 wins or fewer
WHAT CAN BROWN DO FOR YOU
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN has put together one of the most impressive single seasons in program history, earning A-Sun Player of the Year honors and a spot on the All-Conference first team as one of two unanimous selections.
• One of two players in the top 5 in scoring (16.1/T-5th) and rebounding (7.3/5th) in A-Sun action.
• Reached double figures in a team-best 28 contests, including seven 20-point outings.
• One of three players in the A-Sun in the top 10 in scoring (15.2/7th) and rebounding (6.3/9th).
• First player in program history and fourth current A-Sun player to reach 1,000 points and 500 rebounds.
• First FGCU player to record four consecutive double-doubles.
• Averaging 16.1 points on the road and has reached double-digits in 20 of last 21 true road games.
• FGCU is 11-3 when Brown leads in scoring.
• MVP of the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament hosted by FGCU.
• Only player to win the A-Sun Player of the Week honor more than once - has done so three times.
• Four-time College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week.
Sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON’S 95 steals are a new program single-season record and double the amount of all but two other players in the A-Sun.
• Second in the nation in total steals with 95.
• Leads the A-Sun and ranks fifth in the nation in steals per game (2.88).
• 95 steals are tied for the third-most in A-Sun history and nine off the record set by Centenary’s Larry Robinson (1989-90).
• Has twice registered a career-high six steals against Stetson this season and five thefts four other times.
• Has four or more 11 times this year.
• Has a steal in 60 of 65 career games, including 46 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 100 career steals in 46th game at Kennesaw State.
• His 95 steals have led directly to 126 FGCU points (3.8 per game), including 50 of his own.
• Currently has multiple steals in 10 straight contests.
START THE BT-SIGNAL
Highlighted by his 18 points in the final 12:53 against UNF in the A-Sun quarterfinals, sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON (BT) has put on his cape in the second half several times this year, scoring double figures in the final 20 minutes 10 times, including five of the last seven.
• All 30 points at the A-Sun Tournmanet have come in the second half, going 9-of-17 from the floor and 10-of-12 at the free throw line.
• Averaging 11.0 points in the second half the last seven contests.
• Scores 7.9 of his 14.1 points in the second half.
• Has 39 percent (54 of 138) of the team’s steals in the second half.
THE GREAT CHASE
Junior CHASE FIELER is posting career-highs across the board, earning him a spot on the A-Sun All-Conference second team.
• Averaging team-highs of 16.5 points and 7.5 rebounds in the A-Sun Tournament.
• Team leader with 53 dunks.
• Has led the team in scoring 11 times after leading the team in points just two times over his first two seasons.
• Third on the team in scoring (12.1) and second in rebounding (5.3) - figures that rank 17th and 13th in the A-Sun.
• Reached double figures 25 times after doing so just 15 times during his freshman and sophomore campaigns.
• Scored in double figures in 15 of 18 A-Sun games.
• Second in the A-Sun in blocks at 1.3 per game.
• Team leader with 74 offensive rebounds and eighth in the A-Sun at 2.2 per game.
• Named to the Battle 4 Atlantis All-Tournament team.
• Turned in the No. 3 highlight on the Jan. 25th Sports Center Top 10 Plays with a put-back dunk against Stetson.
After leading the A-Sun and finishing second among freshmen nationally in assists per game in 2011-12, sophomore BRETT COMER is out to defend his league assist crown.
• Tops in the A-Sun and 16th in the nation in assists (6.3).
• Seeking to become the fourth player in A-Sun history to lead the league in assists two straight years.
• One of two A-Sun players (Will Wilson - UNF) this season with five games of 10 or more assists.
• A-Sun active leader with nine career double-digit assist games.
• 208 assists are eighth in A-Sun single-season history.
• Ranks fifth in the A-Sun in assist/turnover ratio (+1.7).
• Second all-time in FGCU history with 386 assists.
• Third in the A-Sun in steals per game (1.5).
• Has an assist on 55 of the team’s 132 dunks.
• Has led the team in assists 61 of 65 career games.
• Scored in double figures 11 times.
STEALIN THE SHOW
Armed with length and athleticism - traits important to head coach ANDY ENFIELD’S defensive scheme - FGCU leads the A-Sun and ranks 18th in the nation at 9.1 steals per contest. FGCU forces a league-high 16.0 turnovers per game and is a perfect 13-0 when holding teams to 60 points or less.
• The Eagles have posted double-digit steals in 17 games this season, going 14-3 in those outings.
• Led by sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON’S 95 steals that are the second-most in the country, three FGCU players rank in the top five in the A-Sun in thefts per.
• In 65 games under Enfield, FGCU has 577 steals.
• In FGCU’s last seven wins, teams are averaging 53.1 points.
• Over the last nine games, FGCU has given up more than 30 points in a half just six times.