|Men's Basketball » News||» News » Schedule » Roster » Coaches » Statistics » Archive|
#MaconMadness! @FGCU_MBB Set to Take on UNF in #ASunMBB Tournament Quarterfinals
|Florida Gulf Coast||29||44||73|
|Stats at a Glance||UNF||FGCU|
|FG Percentage||.418 (23-55)||.394 (26-66)|
|3P FG Percentage||.375 (9-24)||.308 (4-13)|
|FT Percentage||.571 (8-14)||.773 (17-22)|
SMITH - 1
WILSON - 1
McROY - 1
JEUNE - 1
DANIELS - 1
FIELER - 1
MURRAY - 1
#7 UNF (13-18, 8-10 A-Sun) vs. #2 FGCU (21-10, 13-5 A-Sun)
Round: A-Sun Quarterfinals
Date | Time: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 | 2:30 P.M.
City: Macon, Ga.
Site: Hawkins Arena (3,200)
Talent: Mike Morgan (P-B-P) & Sonny Smith (Analyst)
Live Audio: FGCUATHLETICS.com
Talent: David Moulton (P-B-P) & J. Webb Horton (Analyst)
Live Stats: www.ATLANTICSUN.org
Hashtags: #MaconMadness | #ASUNMBB | #WeAreFGCU
Current Streak: W2
Last 5: 3-2
Last 10: 8-2
At A-Sun Tournament (App.): 2-1 (1)
Vs. UNF | Season Series | Streak: 8-7 | 2-0 | W2
With A Win: Friday, March 8 -8:00 p.m. vs. No. 3 Stetson or No. 6 ETSU
AT A GLANCE
A year removed from being just the sixth team in the 33-year history of the A-Sun Tournament to advance to the championship in its first appearance, FGCU will enter the 2013 A-Sun Championship as the No. 2 seed with a quarterfinal matchup against No. 7 seed UNF on Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. on ESPN3. FGCU is the only team in the field of eight on a win streak, while it set program records for Division I wins (21) and A-Sun victories (13), going 6-2 vs. the top 5 seeds.
STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#0 Brett Comer (G)
• A-Sun leader and 14th in the nation in assists per game (6.3).
• 196 assists are tied for 10th in A-Sun single-season history.
• A-Sun active leader with nine double figure assist games.
#2 Bernard Thompson (G)
• A-Sun Defensive Player of the Year
• FGCU single-season record 88 steals rank 7th in A-Sun history.
• Second in the nation total steals (88) & sixth per game (2.84).
#25 Sherwood Brown (G)
• A-Sun Player of the Year and unanimous All-Conference pick.
• Top 10 in the A-Sun in scoring (15.2/8th) & rebounding (6.3/8th).
• First player in FGCU history with 1000 points and 500 rebounds.
#20 Chase Fieler (F)
• A-Sun All-Conference second team selection.
• Team leader with 50 dunks.
• Averaging career-bests of 11.8 points and 5.3 rebounds.
#12 Eric McKnight (F)
• Second in the A-Sun in total blocks (38) and fifth per game (1.2).
• Sports a 68 percent field goal percentage (45-66) in A-Sun play.
• Second on the team with 31 dunks.
@FGCU_MBB FAST BREAK FACTS
• Tied for the A-Sun lead with 21 wins; a program D1 record.
• 13 A-Sun wins are a program-best.
• Advanced to the 2012 A-Sun Championship game in first year of postseason eligibility.
• 15-1 at Alico Arena this season, which equals the most home wins by an A-Sun team in the last five years; started the season with a program record D1 record nine straight victories.
• A-Sun leader in scoring (72.7), field goal percentage (.462), steals (9.0) and three-point def. (.310).
• Had a program D1-best seven-game win streak over the last three games of January and first four of February.
• Haven’t trailed at the half in the last 17 games.
• Haven’t allowed more than 30 points in 10 of the last 14 halves.
• Haven’t trailed in nine games on the year.
• Scored 70+ points in 20 games and is 6-0 when scoring 80 points.
• Held a double figure lead in 14 of 18 A-Sun contests.
• A perfect 12-0 when holding opponents under 60 points, including 8-0 in the A-Sun, and 8-1 when shooting 50 percent or better.
• As a team, FGCU has 125 dunks on the season.
• At least three players have reached double figures in 24 of the last 26 games, highlighted by five in five contests (5-0).
• 36 wins under head coach ANDY ENFIELD in the last two seasons compared to 39 in the previous four campaigns.
Head Coach: Andy Enfield (Johns Hopkins ‘91)
Record at FGCU: 36-27 (2nd Season)
Career Record: Same
A-Sun Record: 21-15 (2nd Season)
Head Coach: Matthew Driscoll (Slippery Rock ‘92)
Record at UNF: 57-71 (4th Season)
Career Record: 83-148 (7th Season)
A-Sun Record: 36-42 (4th Season)
UNF went 5-3 over the final four weeks of the A-Sun regular season to finish at 8-10 for the No. 7 seed. Led by head coach Matthew Driscoll, the Ospreys are 2-3 all-time at the A-Sun Tournament over three appearances, making a run to the title game in 2011 as the No. 6 seed. UNF leads the A-Sun at 7.8 threes per game, a mark that ranks in the top 50 in the nation. The league-leading three-point average is strengthened by senior Parker Smith’s 110 trifectas, which are the fourth-best total in the country and an A-Sun single-season record. Smith ranks fourth in the A-Sun in scoring (15.8) and combines with junior forward Travis Wallace to form the league’s second-best scoring tandem at 30.2 points per. Wallace is ninth in the conference in scoring (14.4), while adding a team-high 5.1 rebounds.
FGCU took both games of the season series for the first time since it joined the league in 2007-08. The back-to-back wins gave the Eagles a slight 8-7 edge in the all-time series, as the 15 meetings are the Green and Blue’s most against any opponent. Of the 15 games, 12 have decided by 10 points or less, while three have gone into overtime. Over the two games against UNF this season, FGCU averaged 84.0 points led by junior CHASE FIELER’S 18.0 points, while committing just 10 turnovers and shooting 48 percent.
SUNSHINE STATE SUCCESS
Out of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Florida, the Eagles (21-10) trail only national tops 10s Miami (23-5) and Florida (23-5) for the most wins. FGCU is 7-0 against Division I teams from Florida, including one of Miami’s four losses.
(Records through Mar. 3)
Nine schools: 16 wins or fewer
FGCU IN THE RPI
Outlet (Date) - RPI
NCAA (3/4) - 109
Real Time (3/4) - 108
ESPN Insider (3/4 - 110
CBS Sports (3/3) - 109
Rivals (3/3) 108
StatSheet (3/4) - 115
CollegeHoopsNet.com (3/4) - 115
WarrenNolan.com (3/4) - 109
PROTECT THE NEST
• FGCU is 15-1 at Alico Arena this season and 23-6 all-time at home under second-year head coach ANDY ENFIELD.
• Nine-game home win streak to start the year was the longest in the program’s Division I history.
• Led from start to finish 8 of 16 games.
• Has trailed for a total of 67:04 out of 645 minutes of game action.
• Out-scoring opponents by 14.5 points per game
• Forcing 17.1 turnovers per game, leading to 10.3 steals.
• Dominating inside, out-scoring opponents 600-340 in the paint, good for a 16.3 per game difference.
• Shooting 47.3 percent while limiting opponents to 36.0 percent.
• Defeated current ACC leader Miami in the home opener, limiting the Canes to just 29 percent (16-55) shooting.
• Led at the half in 15 of 16 games.
• Trailed by double figures at home three times, winning two of those contests - Miami and Toledo.
MAKING HIS CASE
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN is putting together league MVP-type numbers in his final campaign.
• One of two players in the top 5 in scoring (16.1/T-5th) and rebounding (7.3/5th) in A-Sun action.
• Reached double figures in a team-best 26 contests, including seven 20-point outings.
• One of three players in the A-Sun in the top 10 in scoring (15.2/8th) and rebounding (6.3/8th).
• First player in program history and fourth current A-Sun player to reach 1,000 points and 500 rebounds.
• First FGCU player to record four consecutive double-doubles.
• Averaging 16.1 points on the road and has reached double-digits in 20 of last 21 true road games.
• FGCU is 10-3 when Brown leads in scoring.
• MVP of the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament hosted by FGCU.
• Only player to win the A-Sun Player of the Week honor more than once - has done so three times.
• Four-time College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week.
Sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON’S 88 steals are a new program single-season record and double the amount by any other A-Sun player except teammate BRETT COMER.
• Second in the nation in total steals with 88.
• Leads the A-Sun and ranks sixth in the nation in steals per game (2.84).
• 88 steals are tied for the seventh-most in A-Sun history and 16 off the record set by Centenary’s Larry Robinson (1989-90).
• Has twice registered a career-high six steals against Stetson this season and five thefts four other times.
• Has four or more 10 times this year.
• Has a steal in 58 of 63 career games, including 44 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 100 career steals in 46th game at Kennesaw State.
• His 88 steals have led directly to 117 FGCU points (3.8 per game), including 48 of his own.
• Currently has multiple steals in eight straight contests.
After leading the A-Sun and finishing second among freshmen nationally in assists per game in 2011-12, sophomore BRETT COMER is out to defend his league assist crown.
• Tops in the A-Sun and 14th in the nation in assists (6.3).
• Seeking to become the fourth player in A-Sun history to lead the league in assists two straight years.
• One of two A-Sun players (Will Wilson - UNF) this season with five games of 10 or more assists.
• A-Sun active leader with nine career double-digit assist games.
• 196 assists are tied for 10th in A-Sun single-season history.
• Ranks fifth in the A-Sun in assist/turnover ratio (+1.7).
• Second all-time in FGCU history with 374 assists.
• Third in the A-Sun in steals per game (1.5).
• Has an assist on 52 of the team’s 125 dunks.
• Scored in double figures 11 times.
IN A CLASS BY HIMSELF
Thanks to his last two seasons under head coach ANDY ENFIELD, senior SHERWOOD BROWN has become the first player in program history to accumulate 1,000 points and 500 rebounds. There are three other active players in the A-Sun who have accomplished the feat: Torrey Craig (USC Upstate), Markeith Cummings (Kennesaw State) and Andy Diaz (UNF). He is currently second all-time in both points and rebounds, sitting 29 caroms short of Adam Liddell’s record of 570.
STEALIN THE SHOW
Armed with length and athleticism - traits important to head coach ANDY ENFIELD’S defensive scheme - FGCU leads the A-Sun and ranks 18th in the nation at 9.0 steals per contest. FGCU forces a league-high 16.0 turnovers per game and is a perfect 12-0 when holding teams to 60 points or less.
• The Eagles have posted double-digit steals in 15 games this season, going 12-3 in those outings.
• Led by sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON’S 88 steals that are the second-most in the country, three FGCU players rank in the top 6 in the A-Sun in thefts per game.
• In 63 games under Enfield, FGCU has eclipsed 500 steals with 555.
• In FGCU’s last five wins, teams are averaging 50.2 points.
• Over the last seven games, FGCU has given up more than 30 points in a half just four times.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN and sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON give FGCU one of the top backcourts in the Atlantic Sun and the fourth-best scoring tandem in the conference. The duo is averaging a combined 29.3 points, 10.5 rebounds and 4.3 steals.
• One of three combos in the A-Sun to both rank in the top 10 in scoring ... Brown is eighth at 15.2 points per game, while Thompson is 10th at 14.1 points per night.
• Both reached the 20-point plateau at Samford, combining for 43 points, including 26 in the second half.
• The duo has reached double figures in same game 21 times.
• Brown or Thompson has led the team in scoring in 20 of the 31 games and have been the top two scorers 10 times.
• Combine to average 33.3 points on the road.
A-Sun Top Scoring Tandems
Pegg/Perez (Stetson) - 30.9 ppg
Smith/Wallace (UNF) - 30.2 pgg
Craig/Greene (USC Upstate) - 29.7 ppg
Thompson/Brown (FGCU) - 29.3 ppg
Jones/Wilson (ETSU) - 28.9 ppg
THE GREAT CHASE
Forward CHASE FIELER has elevated his game in each of his three seasons and is having a breakout junior campaign. Fieler is posting career-high numbers across the board, ranking in the top three on the squad in scoring, rebounding and blocks.
• Team leader with 50 dunks.
• Has led the team in scoring 10 times after leading the team in points just two times over his first two seasons.
• Third on the team in scoring (11.8) and second in rebounding (5.3) - figures that rank 17th and 15th in the A-Sun, respectively.
• Reached double figures 23 times after doing so just 15 times during his freshman and sophomore campaigns.
• Scored in double figures in 15 of 18 A-Sun games.
• Second in the A-Sun in blocks at 1.4 per game.
• Team leader with 67 offensive rebounds.
• Named to the Battle 4 Atlantis All-Tournament team.
• Named the College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week on Dec. 17.
• Turned in the No. 3 highlight on the Jan. 25th Sports Center Top 10 Plays with a put-back dunk against Stetson.
Breakdown of FGCU’s individual dunk leaders ... the Eagles have 125 dunks.
50 - Chase Fieler
31 - Eric McKnight
15 - Eddie Murray
12 - Bernard Thompson
10 - Sherwood Brown
6 - Leonard Livingston
1 - Brett Comer
The fifth-highest scoring tandem in the A-Sun, senior SHERWOOD BROWN and sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON take their game up to another level on the road.
• Account for 46.0 percent (500 of 1088) of the team’s scoring on the road, leading the team in points in 10 of 15 contests.
• Both players have reached double figures in 13 of 15 road games, while seven of their combined 12 20-point games are on the road.
• Combining for 33.3 points per game away from home and shooting 48.1 percent (181-376) from the floor.
• Scoring 18.9 points in the second half, highlighted by 13 double figure efforts (Thompson-7, Brown-6) in the final 20 minutes.
• Brown has reached double figures in 20 of his last 21 road games dating back to 2011-12, while Thompson has done so in 25 of 31 career road contests.
• All five of Thompson’s 20-point performances have been on the road this season.
• Combined for 40+ points in two games.
WHITE MEN CAN JUMP
FGCU’s up-tempo style has yielded plenty of highlight-reel dunks out of the team’s 125 jams this season. On Feb. 22 at Stetson, senior EDDIE MURRAY found his way onto SportCenter’s Top 10 Plays that night with a put-back dunk. Murray’s dunk earned the No. 9 spot on the Top 10 and was the second FGCU throwdown to make the Top 10 this year. Junior CHASE FIELER, who leads the team with 50 dunks, made SportCenter’s Top 10 at No. 3 with a jam at home against the Hatters on Jan. 25.
Seven different players registered a block in FGCU’s 67-43 win over ETSU, helping the club set a program record with 13 blocks. The 13 blocks vaulted FGCU into second in the A-Sun (3.9), as it also leads the league in steals (9.0). Junior CHASE FIELER and sophomore ERIC MCKNIGHT rank second and fifth, respectively, in the A-Sun while their combined 80 blocks are more than 95 Division I programs, including Michigan, Creighton, Butler, Xavier and Boston College.