|Men's Basketball » News||» News » Schedule » Roster » Coaches » Statistics » Archive|
First Place @FGCU_MBB Looks to Continue Winning Ways Against ETSU
|Florida Gulf Coast||33||34||67|
|Stats at a Glance||ETSU||FGCU|
|FG Percentage||.227 (15-66)||.456 (26-57)|
|3P FG Percentage||.158 (3-19)||.211 (4-19)|
|FT Percentage||.588 (10-17)||.846 (11-13)|
FIELER - 7
ETSU (7-17, 5-6 A-Sun) at FGCU (16-8, 8-3 A-Sun)
Date: Thursday, February 7, 2013
Time: 7:05 P.M. EST
City: Fort Myers, Fla.
Site: Alico Arena (4,500)
Live Video (Free): ASun.TV
Live Audio: www.FGCUATHLETICS.com
Talent: David Moulton (P-B-P) & J. Webb Horton (Analyst)
Live Stats: www.FGCUATHLETICS.com
Current Streak: W4
Last 5: 4-1
Last 10: 7-3
At Home (A-Sun): 11-1 (4-1)
Vs. ETSU/Home/Streak: 2-8/2-3/L2
Last Meeting: ETSU 85, FGCU 75 - Jan. 12, 2013 - @ETSU
AT A GLANCE
Riding its first-ever four-game win streak in Atlantic Sun action and sitting in sole possession of first place, FGCU takes on ETSU Thursday night at Alico Arena where it is 11-1 on the season. The Eagles will look to avenge their loss at ETSU on Jan. 12th and are in search of the program’s first-ever five-game win streak since entering Division I in 2007-08. The top scoring team in the A-Sun and 42nd nationally, FGCU is averaging 84.8 points during its current four-game win streak and hasn’t been held below 70 since the start of the new year (10 games).
Head Coach: Andy Enfield (Johns Hopkins ‘91)
Record at FGCU: 31-25 (2nd Season)
Career Record: Same
A-Sun Record: 16-13 (2nd Season)
Head Coach: Murray Bartow (UAB ‘85)
Record at ETSU: 186-130 (10th Season)
Career Record: 289-213 (16th Season)
A-Sun Record: 97-59 (8th Season)
STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#0 Brett Comer (G)
• Averaging 17.0 points and 5.7 assists over the last three games.
• Second in the A-Sun & 21st nationally in assists per game (6.1).
• Team leader in assists in 23 of 24 games and 52 of 56 for career.
#2 Bernard Thompson (G)
• Fifth nationally in total steals (63) & 10th in steals per (2.63).
• Ranks 10th in the A-Sun in scoring (13.9).
• All four 20-point games this season have come on the road.
#25 Sherwood Brown (G)
• Averaging 20.0 points and 9.3 rebounds the last seven games.
• 2 rebounds shy of 1,000 points & 500 boards - FGCU first
• Scored 20 points in four of last five games.
#20 Chase Fieler (F)
• Team leader with 40 dunks out of 109 made field goals.
• Averaging career-bests of 11.9 points and 5.3 rebounds.
• FGCU’s all-time leader in blocks (81).
#12 Eric McKnight (F)
• Second in the A-Sun in total blocks (34) and second per (1.3).
• Reached double figures in seven games.
• Second on the team with 26 dunks.
FGCU FAST BREAK FACTS
• Currently in sole possession of first place in the A-Sun (8-3).
• A-Sun leader with 16 wins; a program D1 record.
• A-Sun leader in scoring (74.2), field goal percentage (.468), three-point percentage (.358), steals (9.0) and three-point defense (.315).
• Riding first-ever four-game A-Sun win streak in which its out-scored its opponents by 16.8 points per night.
• Haven’t trialed in eight games on the year.
• Scored 70+ points in 10 straight games and 14 of the last 15.
• A perfect 7-0 when holding opponents under 60 points and 8-0 when shooting 50 percent or better.
• As a team, FGCU has 97 dunks on the season.
• 11-1 at Alico Arena this season; started the season with a program record D1 record nine straight victories.
• Tabbed as the No. 16 seed in the West Region in ESPN’S Bracketology released on Tuesday.
ALL-TIME AGAINST ETSU
FGCU put an end to a five-game losing streak against ETSU last season when it won at Alico Arena, but has lost the last two meetings that both came in Johnson City, Tenn. The Bucs hold an 8-2 all-time edge in the series and rallied from 19 points down in the second half on Jan. 12, to hand FGCU one of its three A-Sun losses on the year.
Currently in sole possession of seventh place in the A-Sun standings at 5-6, ETSU comes to FGCU after a thrilling 90-88 overtime win over Lipscomb in its last outing. Behind a career-best 36 points from senior Jarvis Jones, who was named the A-Sun Player of the Week on Tuesday, the Bucs reached the 90-point plateau for the second time this season and pushed their A-Sun scoring average to 71.5 ppg. Jones’ 36 points were the most by an A-Sun player this season, as he ranks second in conference only scoring at 18.0 points per game. Freshman Lester Wilson combines with Jones to give ETSU the best one-two scoring tandem in the league (32.0) and is one of the front-runners for A-Sun Freshman of the Year. Wilson has reached double figures in 10 of 11 A-Sun contests, including 21 against FGCU in the first meeting.
SUNSHINE STATE SUCCESS
Out of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Florida, the Eagles (16-8) trail only No. 2 Florida (18-3) and No. 8Miami (18-3) for the most wins. FGCU is 7-0 against Division I teams from Florida, including one of Miami’s three losses.
(Records through Feb. 5)
Florida State: 13-9
Eight schools: 12 wins or fewer
FGCU’s four-game win streak in A-Sun action is its longest ever, while one more victory will give the program its first-ever five-game win streak since joining the Division I ranks in 2007-08. Over the four-game win streak, FGCU is averaging 84.8 points, out-scoring its opponents by 16.8 points and shooting 51.5 percent. Out of 160 minutes of game action, the Eagles have trailed for just 4:31, leading from start to finish in two of the contests, and haven’t been down by more than one possession (3 points) in any of the games. Four players are averaging double figures, led by senior SHERWOOD BROWN’S 22.3 ppg followed by three players at 13.3 ppg or better.
MAKING HIS CASE
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN is putting together league MVP-type numbers while helping FGCU snag a piece of first place.
• Averaging 20.0 points and 9.3 rebounds over the last seven games, including 20 or more points in four of the last five.
• One of three players in the A-Sun in the top 10 in scoring (15.8/5th) and rebounding (6.2/7th).
• Third player in program history to reach 1,000 career points and the first to do it all in Division I.
• Reached double figures in a team-best 21 contests, including six 20-point outings.
• First FGCU player to record four consecutive double-doubles.
• Had a streak of three straight 20-point games.
• Averaging 16.8 points on the road and has reached double-digits in 18 straight true road games.
• FGCU is 8-3 when Brown leads in scoring.
• Team leader with 52 three-pointers, knocking down 49 of his last 106 from beyond the arc.
• MVP of the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament hosted by FGCU.
• Only player to win the A-Sun Player of the Week honor twice.
• Three-time College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week.
IN A CLASS BY HIMSELF
Thanks to his last two seasons under head coach ANDY ENFIELD and his staff, senior SHERWOOD BROWN not sits just 2 rebounds shy of becoming the first player in program history to accumulate 1,000 points and 500 rebounds. There are three active players in the A-Sun who have accomplished the feat: Torrey Craig (USC Upstate), Markeith Cummings (Kennesaw State) and Andy Diaz (UNF). He is currently third all-time in points and second in rebounds, sitting 72 short of Adam Liddell’s record of 570.
FGCU is 11-1 at Alico Arena this season and 20-6 all-time at home under second-year head coach ANDY ENFIELD.
• Nine-game home win streak to start the year was the longest in the program’s Division I history.
• Out-scoring opponents by 13.5 points per game
• Forcing 17.2 turnovers per game, leading to 10.0 steals.
• Dominating inside, out-scoring opponents 462-256 in the paint, good for a 17.2 per game difference.
• Shooting 48.4 percent while limiting opponents to 37.6 percent.
• Defeated current ACC leader Miami in the home opener, limiting the Canes to just 29 percent (16-55) shooting.
• Led at the half in 11 of 12 games.
TWICE IS NICE
On the strength of a pair of double-doubles that were highlighted by a career-high 29 points in 29 minutes during a win over Northern Kentucky, senior SHERWOOD BROWN picked up his second A-Sun Player of the Week award from the league office on Jan. 28. Brown is the only player this season to earn A-Sun Player of the Week honors twice.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN became the first player in program’s 11-year history to post four consecutive double-doubles from Jan. 10-19. Playing four A-Sun games at USC Upstate, at ETSU, vs. Lipscomb and vs. Northern Kentucky, Brown averaged 20.0 points and 10.5 rebounds over that span.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN and sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON give FGCU one of the top backcourts in the Atlantic Sun and the fourth-best scoring tandem in the conference. The duo is averaging a combined 29.7 points, 10.6 rebounds and 4.1 steals per game.
• One of three combos in the A-Sun to both rank in the top 10 in scoring ... Brown is fifth at 15.8 points per game, while Thompson is 10th at 13.9 points per night.
• Both reached the 20-point plateau at Samford, combining for 43 points, including 26 in the second half.
• The duo has reached double figures in same game 17 times.
• Brown or Thompson has led the team in scoring in 15 of the 24 games and have been the top two scorers seven times
• Combine to average 33.3 points on the road.
A-Sun Top Scoring Tandems
Jones/Wilson (ETSU) - 32.0 ppg
Smith/Wallace (UNF) - 31.6 pgg
Pegg/Perez (Stetson) - 31.3 ppg
Thompson/Brown (FGCU) - 29.7 ppg
Craig/Greene (USC Upstate) - 29.7 ppg
Highlighted by a career-high six steals against Stetson, sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON has already surpassed his total from last year, while his 2.65 thefts per game are on pace to break the program single-season record of 78.
• Fifth in the nation in total steals with 63.
• Leads the A-Sun and ranks 10th in the nation in steals per game (2.65).
• Career-high six steals vs. Stetson bested his five at then-No. 9 Duke, vs. Toledo and vs. Loyola-MD this season.
• Has four or more steals seven times this year.
• Has a steal in 51 of 56 career games, including 37 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 100 career steals in his 46th game at Kennesaw State.
• His 63 steals have led directly to 82 FGCU points (3.4 per game), including 31 of his own.
FGCU IN THE RPI
Outlet (Date) - RPI
NCAA (2/4) - 95 --
Real Time (2/5) - 95
ESPN Insider (2/5) - 101
CBS Sports (2/5) - 95
Rivals (2/5) - 95
StatSheet (2/6) - 98
CollegeHoopsNet.com (2/5) - 98
WarrenNolan.com (2/5) - 95
Dolphin (2/5) - 134
Sagarin (2/5) - 156
Massey (2/5) - 151
Pomeroy (2/5) - 148
THE GREAT CHASE
Forward CHASE FIELER has elevated his game in each of his three seasons and is having a breakout junior campaign. Fieler is posting career-high numbers across the board, ranking in the top three on the squad in scoring, rebounding and blocks.
• Team leader with 40 dunks out 109 made field goals.
• Has led the team in scoring eight times after leading the team in points just two times over his first two seasons.
• Third on the team in scoring (11.9) and second in rebounding (5.3) - figures that both rank 17th in the A-Sun.
• Reached double figures 17 times after doing so just 15 times during his freshman and sophomore campaigns.
• Fourth in the A-Sun in blocks at 1.2 per game.
• Team leader with 51 offensive rebounds.
• Named to the Battle 4 Atlantis All-Tournament team.
• Named the College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week on Dec. 17.
• Turned in the No. 3 highlight on the Jan. 25th Sports Center Top 10 Plays with a put-back dunk against Stetson.
After leading the A-Sun and finishing second among freshmen nationally in assists per game in 2011-12, sophomore BRETT COMER is out to defend his league assist crown.
• Second in the A-Sun and 21st in the nation in assists (6.1).
• One of two A-Sun players (Will Wilson - UNF) this season with at least three games of 10 or more assists.
• Ranks fifth in the A-Sun in assist/turnover ratio (+1.6).
• Third all-time in FGCU history with 324 assists.
• Tied for fourth in the A-Sun in steals per game (1.6).
• Scored in double figures 10 times, averaging 17.0 points over the last two.
• Has an assist on 39 of the team’s 97 dunks.
• Finished with a positive assist/turnover ratio in 13 of the last 15 contests.
Against Lipscomb, senior SHERWOOD BROWN and junior CHASE FIELER became just the third FGCU tandem in the program’s D-1 history to record a double-double in the same game. Brown’s third straight double-double featured 20 points and 10 rebounds, while Fieler had career-bests of 20 points, 12 rebounds and five blocks.
FGCU leads the A-Sun in four statistical categories: scoring offense (74.2), field goal percentage (.468), three-point field goal percentage (.354), three-point defense (.315) and steals (9.0). Individually, sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON is tops in steals (2.65).
Breakdown of FGCU’s individual dunk leaders ... the Eagles have 97 dunks.
40 - Chase Fieler
26 - Eric McKnight
10 - Eddie Murray
9 - Sherwood Brown
6 - Leonard Livingston
6 - Bernard Thompson