|Men's Basketball » News||» Media Central » News » Schedule » Roster » Coaches » PDF Statistics » Enhanced Statistics » Archive|
FGCU Looks to Push Home Win Streak to Double Figures Against Lipscomb
|Florida Gulf Coast||38||32||8||78|
|Stats at a Glance||LIP||FGCU|
|FG Percentage||.545 (30-55)||.435 (30-69)|
|3P FG Percentage||.500 (9-18)||.250 (8-32)|
|FT Percentage||.581 (18-31)||.625 (10-16)|
BROWN - 20
THOMPSON - 2
FIELER - 2
FGCU (12-7, 4-2 A-Sun) vs. Lipscomb (6-10, 1-4 A-Sun)
Date: Thursday, January 17, 2013
Time: 7:05 P.M. EST
City: Fort Myers, Fla.
Site: Alico Arena (4,500)
Live Video (Free): www.COLLEGEINSIDER.com & A-Sun TV
Talent: Brice Zimmerman (G-B-G) & J. Webb Horton (Analyst)
Live Audio: FGCUATHLETICS.com
Live Stats: FGCUATHLETICS.com
Current Streak: L1
Last 5: 3-2
Last 10: 6-4
At Home (A-Sun): 9-0 (2-0)
Vs. Lipscomb/Home/Streak: 3-6/2-2/W2
Last Meeting: FGCU 89, Lipscomb 68 - February 13, 2012 - Fort Myers, Fla.
AT A GLANCE
Currently in a three-way tie for first place in the Atlantic Sun standings, FGCU tips off a conference season-long three-game homestand on Thursday night against Lipscomb at Alico Arena. The game can be seen live on A-Sun TV and CollegeInsider.com for free with Brice Zimmerman and J. Webb Horton on the call. The Eagles are a perfect 9-0 at home this season, while the nine-game win streak is a program D-I record. After opening A-Sun action with six games in 13 days, including four on the road, FGCU’s three-game homestand will span over 14 days.
Head Coach: Andy Enfield (Johns Hopkins ‘91)
Record at FGCU: 27-24 (2nd Season)
Career Record: Same
A-Sun Record: 12-12 (2nd Season)
Vs. Lipscomb: 2-0
Head Coach: Scott Sanderson (South Carolina ‘84)
Record at Lipscomb: 214-190 (14th Season)
Career Record: 300-217 (17th Season)
A-Sun Record: 97-80 (10th Season)
Vs. FGCU: 6-3
STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#0 Brett Comer (G)
• Second in the A-Sun & 19th nationally in assists per game (6.3).
• Team leader in assists in 18 of 19 games and 47 of 51 for career.
• Has three 10+ assist games; tied for first in the A-Sun.
#2 Bernard Thompson (G)
• Tied for fifth nationally in total steals (51) & 12th in steals per (2.7).
• Ranks seventh in the A-Sun in scoring (14.3).
• All four 20-point games this season have come on the road.
#25 Sherwood Brown (G)
• Averaging 15.5 points and 11.0 rebounds the last two games.
• Double-double last two contests; 2nd time in program D1 history.
• One of three A-Sun players in the top 10 in scoring and rebounding.
#20 Chase Fieler (F)
• Team leader with 36 dunks out of 80 made field goals.
• Scored double-digits in 12 of the last 15 games - 12.5 ppg & 5.3 rpg.
• Has led team in scoring six times after just twice first two seasons.
#12 Eric McKnight (F)
• A-Sun leader in total blocks (26) and third per game (1.4).
• Second in the A-Sun and 50th nationally in field goal pct. (.594).
• Reached double figures in the last three games.
FGCU FAST BREAK FACTS
A-Sun leader with 12 wins and in a tie for first place; includes a program D-1 record eight non-conference victories.
• In the most NCAA Bracketology produced by ESPN.com, CBS Sports and SI.com as the A-Sun automatic bid.
• 9-0 at Alico Arena this season, riding a program D-1 record nine-game home win streak.
• 4-1 start in A-Sun play was the best since joining in 2007.
• Has not lost back-to-back games this season.
• A-Sun leader in scoring (71.8) and steals (9.2).
• In the top 100 of the RPI, according to eight media outlets.
• Receiving votes in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 Poll the last seven weeks.
• As a team, FGCU has 82 dunks on the season.
FGCU is 3-6 all-time against Lipscomb, but swept the season series in 2011-12, including an overtime victory in Nashville which was the Green and Blue’s first win at Lipscomb. Balance was the theme for FGCU in its two wins, as six players reached double figures in the 89-68 home victory and five on the road. The Green and Blue’s win over the Bisons on Feb. 13, 2012, clinched the program’s first-ever A-Sun Tournament berth.
Off to a 1-4 start to A-Sun play, Lipscomb’s lineup features just one senior while it start five underclassmen in its last contest at Northern Kentucky. The Bisons have dropped two in a row and five of their last six, but four of those contests have been on the road. Lipscomb’s A-Sun victory came against ETSU, who handed FGCU its second conference loss in its last outing. Led by 6-foot-10 redshirt freshman Stephen Hurt, Lipscomb is second in the A-Sun in rebounding margin (+2.8) and offensive rebounds per game (12.8). A three-time A-Sun Newcomer of the Week this year, Hurt is second in the league in rebounding (8.2) and has five double-doubles, all of which have come in the last seven games. Four of Hurt’s five double-doubles have come on the road, including at Kentucky and at Memphis. Hurt also leads the team at 11.8 points per game, as the Bisons have four players averaging double figures.
FGCU IN THE BRACKETOLOGY
FGCU was predicted as the Atlantic Sun’s automatic qualifier in the most recent bracketology produced by ESPN.com’s Joe Lunardi (Jan. 15), Sports Illustrated’s Andy Glockner (Jan. 15) and CBS Sports’ Jerry Palm (Jan. 14). The Eagles were the No. 15 seed in the South Region of the CBS Sports and SI.com Bracketology and the No. 15 seed in the Mid-West Region by ESPN.com.
FGCU is 9-0 at Alico Arena this season and 18-5 all-time at home under second-year head coach ANDY ENFIELD.
• Nine-game home win streak is the longest in the program’s Division I history.
• Out-scoring opponents by 13.4 points per game and limiting the opposition to 58.9 points per contest.
• Forcing 17.4 turnovers per game, leading to 10.3 steals.
• Dominating inside, out-scoring opponents 356-192 in the paint, good for a 18.2 per game difference.
• Shooting 48 percent while limiting opponents to 36 percent.
• Defeated ACC foe Miami in the home opener, limiting the Canes to just 29 percent (16-55) shooting.
• Led at the half in eight of nine games.
MAKE MOVES IN THE MID-MAJOR POLL
Currently in the top 100 of the RPI according to eight different media outlets, FGCU has received votes in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 Poll seven straight weeks. The Eagles are the only A-Sun team currently getting votes.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN averaged 15.5 points and 11.0 rebounds over FGCU’s recent two-game A-Sun road trip, becoming just the second player in the program’s Division I history to post a double-double in back-to-back games. Brown’s double-doubles were the first by an FGCU player this season, as he went for 14 points and 11 rebounds at USC Upstate and 17 points and 11 boards at ETSU. The program record for consecutive double-doubles is three, accomplished by Adam Liddell in 2005-06 and Robinson Tisme two times in the inaugural 2002-03 campaign.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN and sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON give FGCU one of the top backcourts in the Atlantic Sun and the fifth-best scoring tandem in the conference. The duo is averaging a combined 28.5 points, 10.5 rebounds and 4.2 steals per game.
• One of three combos in the A-Sun to both rank in the top 10 in scoring ... Thompson is seventh at 14.3 points per game while Brown is ninth at an even 14.2 points per night.
• Both reached the 20-point plateau at Samford, combining for 43 points, including 26 in the second half.
• The duo has reached double figures in same game 14 times
• Brown or Thompson has led the team in scoring in 12 of the 19 games and have been the top two scorers on seven occasions.
• Combine to average 32.9 points on the road.
A-Sun Top Scoring Tandems
Smith/Wallace (UNF) - 31.8 pgg
Cummings/Love (Kennesaw St.) - 30.6 ppg
Pegg/Perez (Stetson) - 30.1 ppg
Craig/Greene (USC Upstate) - 29.3 ppg
Thompson/Brown (FGCU) - 28.5 ppg
Sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON registered 57 steals as a freshman in 2011-12 - good for third in the A-Sun and fifth-best in program single-season history - and is on pace to shatter that total and the program record this season.
• Tied for fifth in the nation in total steals with 51.
• Leads the A-Sun and ranks tied for 12th in the nation in steals per game (2.7)
• Had a career-high of five steals at No. 9 Duke, vs. Toledo and vs. Loyola-MD.
• Has four or more steals six times this year.
• Has a steal in 46 of 51 career games, including 34 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 100 career steals in his 46th game at Kennesaw State.
• His 51 steals have led directly to 62 FGCU points (3.4 per game), including 23 of his own.
Over the last 15 games, junior CHASE FIELER has been FGCU’s top rebounder (5.3) and third-leading scorer at 12.5 points.
• Team leader with 36 dunks out 80 made field goals.
• Reached double figures in 12 of the last 15 games, including a current career long five-game stretch.
• Has led the team in scoring six times after leading the team in points just two times over his first two seasons.
• Scored a career-high 18 points, including 15 in the second half, at Iowa State and had 18 points in the win over FIU.
• Third on the team in scoring (10.9) and third in rebounding (4.9) - figures that rank 18th and 17th in the A-Sun, respectively.
• Named to the Battle 4 Atlantis All-Tournament team.
• Named the College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week on Dec. 17.
After leading the A-Sun and finishing second among freshmen nationally in assists per game in 2011-12, sophomore BRETT COMER is out to defend his league assist crown.
• Second in the A-Sun and is 19th in the nation in assists (6.3).
• One of two A-Sun players (Will Wilson - UNF) this season with at least three games of 10 or more assists.
• Ranks fourth in the A-Sun in assist/turnover ratio (+1.6).
• Third all-time in FGCU history with 297 assists.
• Fifth in the A-Sun in steals per game (1.6).
• Scored in double figures six times.
• Has an assist on 35 of the team’s 82 dunks.
• Finished with a positive assist/turnover ratio in nine of the last 10 contests.
Breakdown of FGCU’s individual dunk leaders ... the Eagles have 82 dunks.
36 - Chase Fieler
21 - Eric McKnight
9 - Eddie Murray
7 - Sherwood Brown
5 - Leonard Livingston
4 - Bernard Thompson