|Men's Basketball » News||» News » Schedule » Roster » Coaches » Statistics » Archive|
FGCU Looks to Continue Home Success Monday Against UNF
|Florida Gulf Coast||40||35||75|
|Stats at a Glance||UNF||FGCU|
|FG Percentage||.431 (25-58)||.453 (29-64)|
|3P FG Percentage||.345 (10-29)||.400 (6-15)|
|FT Percentage||.867 (13-15)||.458 (11-24)|
FIELER - 14
FGCU (10-6, 2-1 A-Sun) vs. North Florida (7-9, 2-1 A-Sun)
Coaching Matchup: Andy Enfield (25-23; 2nd Season) vs. Matthew Driscoll (77-139; 7th Season)
Date: Monday, January 7, 2013
Time: 7:30 P.M. EST
City: Fort Myers, Fla.
Site: Alico Arena (4,500)
Live Video (Free): ASUN.TV
Live Audio: FGCUATHLETICS.com
Talent: Brice Zimmerman (P-B-P) & J. Webb Horton (Analyst)
Live Stats: FGCUATHLETICS.com
Twitter Hashtags: #FGCU/#ASUNMBB/#FGCUvsUNF
Current Streak: W1
At Home: 8-0
Vs. UNF/Streak: 6-7/L7
Last Meeting: UNF 68, FGCU 62 - Feb. 6, 2012 - Jacksonville, Fla. (Box Score - Pg. 5)
AT A GLANCE
FGCU will look to carry over the momentum from its convincing win on Saturday against Jacksonville to Monday night when it hosts North Florida at Alico Arena. The Eagles jumped out to a 26-point halftime lead - their largest in D-1 history - en route to a 25-point victory that was their 10th of the season and put their home record at a perfect 8-0. With a win, FGCU can extend its home win streak to a program D-1 record nine games, while snapping a seven-game skid against UNF, who is coming off a 90-74 victory at Mercer. The Eagles can also improve to 3-1 in A-Sun play with a win, which would be their best start in six seasons in the league.
STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#0 Brett Comer (G)
• Second in the A-Sun & 26th nationally in assists per game (5.9).
• Team leader in assists in 15 of 16 games and 44 of 48 for career.
• Six assists shy of 100 for the second straight year.
#2 Bernard Thompson (G)
• Third in the nation in total steals (49) and fifth in steals per (3.1).
• Ranks sixth in the A-Sun in scoring (14.6).
• Has reached double figures in 10 straight games.
#25 Sherwood Brown (G)
• Ranks ninth in the A-Sun in scoring (14.0).
• Second on the team with 13 double figure outings.
• Will 99th career game against UNF and has 891 career points.
#20 Chase Fieler (F)
• Team leader with 32 dunks out of 64 made field goals.
• Scored double-digits in 9 of the last 12 games - 12.0 ppg & 5.5 rpg.
• College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week on Dec. 17.
#12 Eric McKnight (F)
• A-Sun leader in total blocks (22) and third per game (1.4).
• Tops in rebounding (5.4), good for 12th in the A-Sun.
• Fourth on the team in scoring at 6.7 points per night.
FGCU FAST BREAK FACTS
• A-Sun leader with 10 wins; includes a program D-1 record eight non-conference victories
• A-Sun leader in scoring (71.4) and steals (9.5).
• In the top 100 of the RPI, according to six media outlets
• Receiving votes in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 Poll the last five weeks
• Projected to represent the A-Sun in recent NCAA Bracketology by Joe Lundardi (ESPN.com) & Jerry Palm (CBS Sports)
AGAINST NORTH FLORIDA
After winning the first six meetings between the two clubs, UNF has taken seven straight in the series. The 13 meetings are FGCU’s most against any opponent, as 11 of the games have been decided by 10 points or less and three have gone to overtime. The Ospreys’ current seven-game win streak has come by a combined 41 points.
SCOUTING NORTH FLORIDA
The Ospreys enter Monday’s contest with a 7-9 record as they have won four of their last five games and are coming off a convincing 90-74 road win at Stetson on Saturday. Led by fourth-year head coach Matthew Driscoll, the Ospreys were tabbed to finish fourth in the Atlantic Sun Conference Preseason Coaches’ Poll. North Florida returns all five starters from a team that went 16-16 last season. North Florida attempts an average of 22.9 threes a game and it currently leads the A-Sun in three-point field goal percentage (.347) and three-point field goals made per game (7.9). In its last four games, UNF is averaging a torrid 82 points per contest and winning by 17.0 points.
North Florida is led by the leading scoring tandem in the A-Sun in senior guard Parker Smith and junior forward Travis Wallace. Together, the duo averages 31.3 points per game which accounts for 47 percent of UNF’s total offense. Smith leads the team in scoring with 16.1 points per game and is coming off a 33-point night at Stetson that saw one of the nation’s top shooters hit 9-of-10 from three. Smith is currently 11th all-time in the A-Sun for most three-point field goals made in a career and he is third in the nation in three-point field goals made this season with 63. Wallace is the ultimate compliment to Smith as he makes his mark on the interior for UNF. Wallace is second on the team in scoring (15.2), first in rebounding (5.1) and he leads the A-Sun in field goal percentage (.642), which is also good enough for 18th in the NCAA. Wallace has scored 20 points in five of the last six games, while Smith has accomplished the feat an A-Sun leading seven times on the year.
FGCU IN LATEST BRACKETOLOGY
FGCU was predicted as the No. 13 seed in the East Region of the NCAA Tournament by ESPN.com’s Joe Lunardi in his Dec. 11th Bracketology. Lunardi has FGCU squaring off against No. 4 seed Gonzaga in San Jose, Calif. On Dec. 27, the Eagles were also predicted to represent the A-Sun in Jerry Palm of CBS Sports in his Bracketology. Palm has FGCU as the No. 15 seed in the East Region taking on No. 2 seed Cincinnati in Dayton, Ohio.
SUNSHINE STATE SUCCESS
Out of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Florida, the Eagles (10-6) are tied with No. 13/9 Florida (10-2), Miami (10-3) and UCF (10-4) for the most victories in the state.
(Records as of Jan. 6)
Florida State: 9-5
Seven schools: Six wins or fewer
MAKE MOVES IN THE MID-MAJOR POLL
Currently in the top 100 of the RPI according to six different media outlets, FGCU has received votes in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 Poll five straight weeks.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN and sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON give FGCU one of the top backcourts in the Atlantic Sun and the fourth-best scoring tandem in the conference. The duo is averaging a combined 28.6 points, 9.5 rebounds and 4.4 steals per game.
• One of three combos in the A-Sun to both rank in the top 10 in scoring ... Thompson is sixth at 14.6 points per game while Brown is ninth at an even 14.0 points per night.
• Both reached the 20-point plateau at Samford, combining for 43 points, including 26 in the second half.
• The duo has reached double figures in same game 12 times
• Brown or Thompson has led the team in scoring in nine of the 16 games and have been the top two scorers on seven occasions.
• Combine to average 33.9 points on the road
A-Sun Top Scoring Tandems
Smith/Wallace (UNF) - 31.3 pgg
Cummings/Love (Kennesaw St.) - 29.0 ppg
Pegg/Perez (Stetson) - 28.8 ppg
Thompson/Brown (FGCU) - 28.6 ppg
Craig/Greene (USC Upstate) - 28.1 ppg
Sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON registered 57 steals as a freshman in 2011-12 - good for third in the A-Sun and fifth-best in program single-season history - and is on pace to shatter that total and the program record this season.
• Third in the nation in total steals with 49.
• Leads the A-Sun and ranks fifth in the nation in steals per game (3.06)
• Had a career-high of five steals at No. 9 Duke, vs. Toledo and vs. Loyola-MD.
• Current streak of 16 games with a steal, including four or more six times.
• Has a steal in 44 of 48 career games, including 34 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 100 career steals in his 46th game at Kennesaw State.
• His 49 steals have led directly to 59 FGCU points (3.7 per game), including 23 of his own.
FGCU leads the A-Sun in three statistical categories: scoring offense (71.4), scoring margin (+4.6), field goal percentage (.461), steals (9.5) and three-point percentage defense (.281). Individually, sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON is tops in steals (3.1) and ERIC MCKNIGHT leads the way in total blocks (22).
FGCU is 8-0 at Alico Arena this season and 17-5 all-time at home under second-year head coach Andy Enfield.
• Eight-game home win streak equals the longest in Division I history in 2008-09.
• Out-scoring opponents by 14.9 points per game and limiting the opposition to 57.1 points per contest.
• Forcing 17.9 turnovers per game, leading to 10.6 steals.
• Dominating inside, out-scoring opponents 314-166 in the paint, good for a 18.5 per game difference.
• Shooting 48 percent while limiting opponents to 35 percent.
• Defeated ACC foe Miami in the home opener, limiting the Canes to just 29 percent (16-55) shooting.
Over the last 12 games, junior CHASE FIELER has been FGCU’s top rebounder (5.5) and third-leading scorer at 12.0 points.
• Team leader with 32 dunks out 64 made field goals.
• Reached double figures in nine of the last 12 games, including a career long four-game stretch.
• Has led the team in scoring five times after leading the team in points just two times over his first two seasons.
• Scored a career-high 18 points, including 15 in the second half, at Iowa State and had 18 points in the win over FIU.
• Third on the team in scoring (10.2) and second in rebounding (5.0) - figures that rank 20th and 16th in the A-Sun, respectively.
• Named to the Battle 4 Atlantis All-Tournament team.
• Named the College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week on Dec. 17.
After leading the A-Sun and finishing second among freshmen nationally in assists per game in 2011-12, sophomore BRETT COMER is out to defend his league assist crown.
• Second in the A-Sun and is 26th in the nation in assists per game (5.9).
• One of two A-Sun players (Will Wilson - UNF) this season with multiple games of 10 or more assists.
• Ranks fourth in the A-Sun in assist/turnover ratio (+1.5).
• Third all-time in FGCU history with 272 assists.
• Has a steal in all but three games this season.
• Scored in double figures five times.
• Has an assist on 28 of the team’s 68 dunks.
WHAT CAN BROWN DO FOR YOU
One of two players to rank in the A-Sun’s top 10 in scoring and rebounding in 2011-12, this season senior SHERWOOD BROWN has twice been named the A-Sun Player of the Week by College Sports Madness an once by the league office. He was also named the MVP of the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament hosted by FGCU.
• Ninth in the A-Sun in scoring at 14.0 points per game, led by a pair of 20-point nights and 13 double figure outings.
• Ranks 19th in rebounding (4.8), ninth in steals (1.4) and eighth in minutes (31.1).
• Averaging 16.4 points on the road and has reached double-digits in 14 straight true road games.
• FGCU is 5-1 when Brown leads in scoring.
• Team leader with 27 three-pointers, knocking down 24 of his last 56 from beyond the arc.
Sophomore FILIP CVJETICANIN is starting to find the stroke that helped him finish second in the A-Sun in three-point field goal percentage in 2011-12.
• Averaging 9.9 points off the bench over the last five games.
• Made 12 threes (12-31) over the last five games compared to eight in the first nine contests.
• Ninth in the A-Sun in three-point field goal percentage (.351).
• Has 13 career double figure games off the bench.
Below is a breakdown of FGCU’s 72 dunks by player ...
32 - Chase Fieler
16 - Eric McKnight
8 - Eddie Murray
7 - Sherwood Brown
5 - Leonard Livingston
4 - Bernard Thompson
FGCU is armed with a long and athletic lineup that has been aggressive at the rim and in the paint this season. The Eagles are averaging 34.6 points in the paint, including 72 dunks.
• FGCU has reached the 40-point plateau in points in the paint in five games (4-1).
• Points in the paint (554) account for 48.5% of team’s scoring.
• Game-by-game points in the paint on page 12.
Record When ...
Less than 30 Points: 1-2
30-39 Points: 5-3
40-49 Points: 3-1
50+ Points: 1-0