@FGCU_MBB Battles Stetson in #ASunMBB/CSS Game of the Week
|Florida Gulf Coast||36||35||71|
|Stats at a Glance||FGCU||STET|
|FG Percentage||.406 (28-69)||.542 (26-48)|
|3P FG Percentage||.333 (9-27)||.524 (11-21)|
|FT Percentage||.545 (6-11)||.773 (17-22)|
FIELER - 1
FGCU (19-9, 11-4 A-Sun) at Stetson (12-14, 9-6 A-Sun)
Date: Friday, February 22, 2013
Time: 7:00 P.M. EST
City: DeLand, Fla.
Site: Edmunds Center (4,000)
TV: Comcast Sports Southeast (CSS) & ESPN3
Talent: Matt Stewart (P-B-P) & Sonny Smith (Analyst)
Live Stats: www.GOHATTERS.com
Twitter: @FGCU_MBB | @StetsonMBB | @Matt_StewartCSS
Hashtags: #FGCUvsSTETSON | #ASUNMBB | #WeAreFGCU
Current Streak: L1
Last 5: 4-1
Last 10: 7-3
On The Road/A-Sun/Streak: 6-8 | 5-3 | L1
Vs. Stetson/Away/Streak: 6-5 | 2-3 | W1
Last Meeting: FGCU 96, Stetson 65 - January 25, 2013 - Fort Myers, Fla.
AT A GLANCE
Sitting a half-game out of first place with three games remaining, FGCU will close out its conference road slate on Friday night in DeLand, Fla. when it takes on third place Stetson in the A-Sun/CSS Friday Night Game of the Week. Matt Stewart (@Matt_StewartCSS) and Sonny Smith will have the call from the Edmunds Center where the Eagles have been victorious in their last two trips. The game can also be seen on ESPN3 outside the CSS footprint and will be shown on tape delay at 10 p.m. on Cox Sports TV (CST). With a win, FGCU can clinch a top 2 seed in the A-Sun Tournament and secure a game on the opening day/night (March 6).
Head Coach: Andy Enfield (Johns Hopkins ‘91)
Record at FGCU: 34-26 (2nd Season)
Career Record: Same
A-Sun Record: 19-14 (2nd Season)
Head Coach: Casey Alexander (Belmont ‘95)
Record at Stetson: 21-34 (2nd Season)
Career Record: Same
A-Sun Record: 15-18 (2nd Season)
STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#0 Brett Comer (G)
• A-Sun leader and 12th in the nation in assists per game (6.5).
• Averaging 16.0 points and 7.7 in three career games vs. Stetson.
• A-Sun active leader with nine double figure assist games.
#2 Bernard Thompson (G)
• Fifth in the nation total steals (76) & 9th per (2.71).
• Ranks 10th in the A-Sun in scoring (14.0).
• All five 20-point games this season have come on the road.
#25 Sherwood Brown (G)
• Reached double figures in 19 of last 20 road games.
• First player in FGCU history with 1000 points and 500 rebounds.
• Top 10 in the A-Sun in scoring (15.7/7th) & rebounding (6.3/8th).
#20 Chase Fieler (F)
• Team leader with 47 dunks out of 128 made field goals.
• Averaging career-bests of 11.9 points and 5.3 rebounds.
• Reached double figures in 12 of 15 A-Sun games.
#12 Eric McKnight (F)
• Third in the A-Sun in total blocks (36) and third per game (1.3).
• Sports a 67 percent field goal percentage (39-58) in A-Sun play.
• Second on the team with 28 dunks.
@FGCU_MBB FAST BREAK FACTS
• Currently in sole possession of second place in the A-Sun (11-4).
• Clinched an A-Sun Tournament berth with its win over ETSU.
• A-Sun leader with 19 wins; a program D1 record.
• A-Sun leader in scoring (73.4), field goal percentage (.466), steals (8.7), blocks (3.9) and three-point def. (.308).
• Had a program D1-best seven-game win streak over the last three games of January and first three of February.
• Haven’t allowed more than 30 points in 7 of the last 8 halves.
• Haven’t trialed in nine games on the year.
• Scored 70+ points in 12 of the last 14 games.
• Held a double figure lead in 13 of 15 A-Sun contests.
• A perfect 10-0 when holding opponents under 60 points and 8-1 when shooting 50 percent or better.
• As a team, FGCU has 115 dunks on the season.
• 13-1 at Alico Arena this season; started the season with a program record D1 record nine straight victories.
• 34 wins under head coach ANDY ENFIELD in the last two seasons compared to 39 in the previous four campaigns.
The fifth-highest scoring tandem in the A-Sun, senior SHERWOOD BROWN and sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON take their game up to another level on the road.
• Account for 45.5 percent (463 of 1017) of the team’s scoring on the road, leading the team in points in 9 of 14 contests.
• Both players have reached double figures in 12 of 14 road games, while seven of their combined 12 20-point games are on the road.
• Combining for 33.1 points per game away from home and shooting 49.1 percent (167-340) from the floor.
• Scoring 18.7 points in the second half, highlighted by 11 double figure efforts (Thompson-6, Brown-5) in the final 20 minutes.
• Brown has reached double figures in 19 of his last 20 road games dating back to 2011-12, while Thompson has done so in 24 of 30 career road contests.
• All five of Thompson’s 20-point performances have been on the road this season.
• Combined for 40+ points in two games.
Stetson closed out its A-Sun road slate last weekend with back-to-back wins at Lipscomb and Northern Kentucky to move into sole possession of third place at 9-6. The Hatters will close out the regular season with three straight home contests at the Edmunds Center where it is 4-2 in league action. Led by second-year head coach Casey Alexander, Stetson sports five players at 8.2 points per game (ppg) and that balance is boosted by a league-best 16.6 assists per contest that rank ninth in the nation. Known for its offense, Stetson hasn’t allowed more than 66 points in any of its last five games. Senior Adam Pegg was named this week’s A-Sun Player of the Week after averaging 20.0 points and 8.5 boards during the recent road trip. Pegg, who has scored in double figures 21 straight games, has put up A-Sun Player of the Year type numbers with 15.8 points and 6.1 rebounds, figures that rank fifth and ninth in the conference, respectively. Junior Chris Perez teams with Pegg to give Stetson the A-Sun’s top scoring duo at 31.1 ppg. Perez is eighth in the A-Sun in scoring (15.3).
ALL-TIME AGAINST STETSON
Behind all five starters in double figures and a season-high 96 points, FGCU picked up its fifth win in the last six meetings in the series on Jan. 25. The Eagles now hold a slight 6-5 edge in the all-time series and have won the last two meetings at the Edmunds Center. Over its last two wins at the Edmunds Center, FGCU is averaging a staggering 101.5 points, highlighted by the thrilling triple-overtime 111-103 victory in 2011. Out of the 11 all-time meetings, nine have been decided by 10 points or less. Over his three career games against Stetson, sophomore BRETT COMER is averaging 16.0 points and 7.7 assists and has a +3.3 assist/turnover ratio.
HOLD ON TIGHT
Friday night’s game showcases two of the top three scoring teams in the Atlantic Sun, as FGCU’s 73.4 points per night lead the way followed by Stetson’s 70.0 average that ranks third. The two teams have a combined six players - three each - in the A-Sun’s top 20 scoring leaders, including four in the top 10. The Eagles have scored 70+ points in 12 of 15 A-Sun games and are 6-0 when reaching the 80-point plateau. The two teams are also competing for the league’s top field goal percentage with FGCU leading the way at a 46.6 percent clip. Under head coach ANDY ENFIELD, the Eagles are averaging 91.3 points per game (3 contests) against the Hatters.
SUNSHINE STATE SUCCESS
Out of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Florida, the Eagles (19-9) trail only No. 2 Miami (22-3) and No. 4 Florida (21-4) for the most wins. FGCU is 7-0 against Division I teams from Florida, including one of Miami’s three losses.
(Records through Feb. 20)
Nine schools: 14 wins or fewer
MAKING HIS CASE
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN is putting together league MVP-type numbers while helping FGCU vault into first place.
• Only player in the top 5 in scoring (17.2/5th) and rebounding (7.6/4th) in A-Sun action.
• Reached double figures in a team-best 24 contests, including seven 20-point outings.
• One of three players in the A-Sun in the top 10 in scoring (15.7/7th) and rebounding (6.3/8th).
• First player in program history and fourth current A-Sun player to reach 1,000 points and 500 rebounds.
• First FGCU player to record four consecutive double-doubles.
• Averaging 16.0 points on the road and has reached double-digits in 19 of last 20 true road games.
• FGCU is 10-3 when Brown leads in scoring.
• MVP of the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament hosted by FGCU.
• Only player to win the A-Sun Player of the Week honor more than once - has done so three times.
• Four-time College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week.
IN A CLASS BY HIMSELF
Thanks to his last two seasons under head coach ANDY ENFIELD, senior SHERWOOD BROWN has become the first player in program history to accumulate 1,000 points and 500 rebounds. There are three other active players in the A-Sun who have accomplished the feat: Torrey Craig (USC Upstate), Markeith Cummings (Kennesaw State) and Andy Diaz (UNF). He is currently second all-time in both points and rebounds, sitting 46 caroms short of Adam Liddell’s record of 570.
After leading the A-Sun and finishing second among freshmen nationally in assists per game in 2011-12, sophomore BRETT COMER is out to defend his league assist crown.
• Tops in the A-Sun and 12th in the nation in assists (6.5).
• One of two A-Sun players (Will Wilson - UNF) this season with five games of 10 or more assists.
• A-Sun career active leader with nine double-digit assist games.
• 183 assists are tied for 14th in A-Sun single-season history.
• Ranks fifth in the A-Sun in assist/turnover ratio (+1.8).
• Second all-time in FGCU history with 361 assists.
• Third in the A-Sun in steals per game (1.6).
• Scored in double figures 10 times.
• Has an assist on 48 of the team’s 115 dunks.
• Finished with a positive assist/turnover ratio in 17 of the last 19 contests.
Sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON’S 76 steals are just two off the program record and 32 more than teammate BRETT COMER who is second in the A-Sun in total steals.
• Fifth in the nation in total steals with 76.
• Leads the A-Sun and ranks ninth in the nation in steals per game (2.71).
• 76 steals are tied for the 18th-most in A-Sun history.
• Career-high six steals vs. Stetson bested his five at then-No. 9 Duke, vs. Toledo, vs. Loyola-MD and vs. USC Upstate this season.
• Has four or more steals nine times this year.
• Has a steal in 55 of 60 career games, including 41 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 100 career steals in 46th game at Kennesaw State.
• His 76 steals have led directly to 103 FGCU points (3.7 per game), including 38 of his own
FGCU swept the weekly A-Sun awards handed out on Tuesday, as senior SHERWOOD BROWN earned his third Player of the Week honor and redshirt sophomore ERIC MCKNIGHT took home his third Newcomer of the Week accolade. It marked the second time this season that the Green and Blue have swept the awards, as BERNARD THOMPSON and McKnight did so on Nov. 20th. No other A-Sun player has been named Player of the Week more than once, while Brown has taken the honor three times.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN became the first player in program’s 11-year history to post four consecutive double-doubles from Jan. 10-19. Playing four A-Sun games at USC Upstate, at ETSU, vs. Lipscomb and vs. Northern Kentucky, Brown averaged 20.0 points and 10.5 rebounds over that span.
STEALIN THE SHOW
Armed with length and athleticism - traits important to head coach ANDY ENFIELD’S defensive scheme - FGCU leads the A-Sun and ranks 30th in the nation at 8.7 steals per contest.
• The Eagles have posted double-digit steals in 12 games this season, going 10-2 in those outings winning five in a row.
• Led by sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON’S 76 steals that are fifth-most in the country, three FGCU players rank in the top 6 in the A-Sun in thefts per game.
• In 60 games under Enfield, FGCU has eclipsed 500 steals with 520.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN and sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON give FGCU one of the top backcourts in the Atlantic Sun and the fifth-best scoring tandem in the conference. The duo is averaging a combined 29.7 points, 10.8 rebounds and 4.2 steals per game.
• One of three combos in the A-Sun to both rank in the top 10 in scoring ... Brown is seventh at 15.7 points per game, while Thompson is 10th at 14.0 points per night.
• Both reached the 20-point plateau at Samford, combining for 43 points, including 26 in the second half.
• The duo has reached double figures in same game 19 times.
• Brown or Thompson has led the team in scoring in 18 of the 28 games and have been the top two scorers nine times.
• Combine to average 33.1 points on the road.
A-Sun Top Scoring Tandems
Pegg/Perez (Stetson) - 31.1 ppg
Smith/Wallace (UNF) - 31.0 pgg
Jones/Wilson (ETSU) - 30.4 ppg
Craig/Greene (USC Upstate) - 29.8 ppg
Thompson/Brown (FGCU) - 29.7 ppg
THE GREAT CHASE
Forward CHASE FIELER has elevated his game in each of his three seasons and is having a breakout junior campaign. Fieler is posting career-high numbers across the board, ranking in the top three on the squad in scoring, rebounding and blocks.
• Team leader with 47 dunks out 128 made field goals.
• Has led the team in scoring nine times after leading the team in points just two times over his first two seasons.
• Third on the team in scoring (11.9) and second in rebounding (5.3) - figures that rank 17th and 15th in the A-Sun, respectively.
• Reached double figures 20 times after doing so just 15 times during his freshman and sophomore campaigns.
• Scored in double figures in 12 of 15 A-Sun games.
• Second in the A-Sun in blocks at 1.4 per game.
• Team leader with 60 offensive rebounds.
• Named to the Battle 4 Atlantis All-Tournament team.
• Named the College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week on Dec. 17.
• Turned in the No. 3 highlight on the Jan. 25th Sports Center Top 10 Plays with a put-back dunk against Stetson.
Against Lipscomb, senior SHERWOOD BROWN and junior CHASE FIELER became just the third FGCU tandem in the program’s D-1 history to record a double-double in the same game. Brown’s third straight double-double featured 20 points and 10 rebounds, while Fieler had career-bests of 20 points, 12 rebounds and five blocks.
|Copyright ©2014 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|