@FGCU_MBB Begins Second Half of A-Sun Regular Season at UNF
|Florida Gulf Coast||40||49||89|
|Stats at a Glance||FGCU||UNF|
|FG Percentage||.507 (35-69)||.500 (28-56)|
|3P FG Percentage||.522 (12-23)||.316 (6-19)|
|FT Percentage||.636 (7-11)||.722 (13-18)|
FIELER - 2
FGCU (14-8, 6-3 A-Sun) at UNF (8-14, 3-6 A-Sun)
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2013
Time: 7:00 P.M. EST
City: Jacksonville, Fla.
Site: UNF Arena (5,800)
Live Video (Free): ASun.TV
Live Audio: www.101xl.com
Live Stats: UNFOSPREYS.com
Twitter: @FGCU_MBB & @OspreyMBB
Current Streak: W2
Last 5: 3-2
Last 10: 6-4
On The Road (A-Sun): 3-7 (2-2)
Vs. UNF/Streak: Tied, 7-7/W1
At UNF/Streak: 2-4/L4
Last Meeting: FGCU 75, UNF 73 - Jan. 7, 2013 - Fort Myers
AT A GLANCE
Currently one of five teams tied for first place in the tight Atlantic Sun race, FGCU (14-8, 6-3) begins the second half of its league slate Thursday night in Jacksonville, Fla. against North Florida. Led by senior SHERWOOD BROWN who is averaging 23.3 points over the last three games, the Eagles will look to snap a four-game losing streak at UNF Arena and come away with their first series sweep of the Ospreys since the 2007-08 campaign, their inaugural season in the A-Sun. FGCU is just one win shy of equaling the program D1 record set in 2011-12.
Head Coach: Andy Enfield (Johns Hopkins ‘91)
Record at FGCU: 29-25 (2nd Season)
Career Record: Same
A-Sun Record: 14-13 (2nd Season)
Head Coach: Matthew Driscoll (Slippery Rock ‘92)
Record at UNF: 52-67 (4th Season)
Career Record: 78-144 (7th Season)
A-Sun Record: 31-38 (4th Season)
STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#0 Brett Comer (G)
• Second in the A-Sun & 19th nationally in assists per game (6.1).
• Team leader in assists in 21 of 22 games and 50 of 54 for career.
• Third in the A-Sun in steals (1.6).
#2 Bernard Thompson (G)
• Fourth nationally in total steals (60) & sixth in steals per (2.7).
• Ranks 10th in the A-Sun in scoring (13.7).
• All four 20-point games this season have come on the road.
#25 Sherwood Brown (G)
• Scored 20 points in the last three games; averaging 23.3 ppg.
• Just the third player in program history to score 1,000 points.
• One of four A-Sun players in the top 10 in scoring & rebounding.
#20 Chase Fieler (F)
• Team leader with 40 dunks out of 99 made field goals.
• Currently riding a career-long eight-game double figure streak.
• Led team in scoring seven times after just twice first two seasons.
#12 Eric McKnight (F)
• Second in the A-Sun in total blocks (31) and third per game (1.4).
• Reached double figures in seven games.
• Second on the team with 25 dunks.
FGCU FAST BREAK FACTS
• A-Sun leader with 14 wins; includes a program D-1 record eight non-conference victories.
• A-Sun leader in scoring (73.2), field goal percentage (.466), steals (9.1) and three-point defense (.308).
• Hasn’t trailed in the last two games and eight times on the year.
• Scored 70+ points in eight straight games and 12 of the last 13.
• Has led at the half in eight straight games.
• A perfect 7-0 when holding opponents under 60 points and 7-0 when shooting 50 percent or better.
• Out-rebounded four straight and seven of the last eight opponents.
• As a team, FGCU has 94 dunks on the season.
• One win shy of equaling the program D-1 record set in 2011-12.
• 11-1 at Alico Arena this season; started the season with a program record D1 record nine straight victories.
• Tabbed as the No. 15 seed in the East Region in ESPN’S Bracketology released on Tuesday.
ALL-TIME AGAINST NORTH FLORIDA
Despite allowing a 19-point lead to get away in the second half, FGCU fought back to end its seven-game losing streak against UNF with a 75-73 win on Jan. 7th at Alico Arena. The Green and Blue’s victory evened the all-time series at 7-7, as the 14 meetings are the Eagles’ most against any opponent. Out of the 14 games, 12 have been decided by 10 points or less, including the last eight by seven points or less. Three games have gone into overtime.
WATCH TO WATCH FOR
Thursday’s meeting will feature FGCU’s top-ranked three-point field goal defense in the A-Sun against one of the premiere shooters in the country in UNF’s Parker Smith. The Eagles are limiting their opponents to a league-low 30.8 percent from beyond the arc, while Smith’s 88 made threes on the year are more than 40 Division I teams. The game will also showcase two of the A-Sun’s top point guards in BRETT COMER of FGCU and UNF’s Will Wilson. Comer and Wilson have eight of the nine double-digit assist performances this season in the A-Sun and both are in the top 20 nationally in assists per game. Wilson’s 6.8 helpers per game lead the conference, while Comer is right behind at 6.1 per night.
SCOUTING NORTH FLORIDA
UNF has dropped three straight and five of its last six entering its home weekend. The Ospreys are 3-6 in A-Sun action and will host two of the five current first place teams this weekend. UNF is led by the A-Sun’s highest scoring tandem of senior Parker Smith and junior Travis Wallace’s who combine for 31.4 points per game. Smith’s 16.9 points come on the strength of 88 three-pointers, good for second in the nation. Smith has hit for 30+ points in two A-Sun games and hasn’t been held without a three all year. Wallace leads the A-Sun with a 60.8 field goal percentage and has scored in double figures in 17 of the last 19 games.
FGCU has lead at the half in eight straight games, out-scoring its opponents by an average of 13.1 points in opening 20 minutes over that span. The Eagles have executed on both ends of the floor to make the run possible, shooting a blistering 50.6 percent en route to averaging 40.6 points, including a season-high 48 in their last outing against Stetson. On defense, FGCU has limited those eight opponents to just a 38 percent clip, while only two teams have reached 30 points.
MAKING HIS CASE
Halfway through the A-Sun regular season slate, senior SHERWOOD BROWN is putting together league MVP-type numbers while helping FGCU snag a piece of first place.
• Averaging 23.3 points over the last three games on the strength of three straight 20-point outings.
• One of four players in the A-Sun in the top 10 in scoring (15.4/6th) and rebounding (6.1/7th).
• Third player in program history to reach 1,000 career points and the first to do it all in Division I.
• Reached double figures in a team-best 19 contests, including five 20-point outings.
• First FGCU player to record four consecutive double-doubles.
• In the A-Sun’s top 10 in seven different statistical categories.
• Averaging 16.2 points on the road and has reached double-digits in 16 straight true road games.
• FGCU is 8-3 when Brown leads in scoring.
• Team leader with 44 three-pointers, knocking down 41 of his last 94 from beyond the arc.
• MVP of the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament hosted by FGCU.
• Only player to win the A-Sun Player of the Week honor twice.
• Three-time College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week.
TWICE IS NICE
On the strength of a pair of double-doubles that were highlighted by a career-high 29 points in 29 minutes during a win over Northern Kentucky, senior SHERWOOD BROWN picked up his second A-Sun Player of the Week award from the league office on Jan. 28. Brown is the only player this season to earn A-Sun Player of the Week honors twice.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN became the first player in program’s 11-year history to post four consecutive double-doubles from Jan. 10-19. Playing four A-Sun games at USC Upstate, at ETSU, vs. Lipscomb and vs. Northern Kentucky, Brown averaged 20.0 points and 10.5 rebounds over that span.
Breakdown of FGCU’s individual dunk leaders ... the Eagles have 94 dunks.
40 - Chase Fieler
25 - Eric McKnight
9 - Eddie Murray
8 - Sherwood Brown
6 - Leonard Livingston
6 - Bernard Thompson
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN and sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON give FGCU one of the top backcourts in the Atlantic Sun and the fifth-best scoring tandem in the conference. The duo is averaging a combined 29.1 points, 10.6 rebounds and 4.1 steals per game.
• One of three combos in the A-Sun to both rank in the top 10 in scoring ... Brown is sixth at 15.4 points per game, while Thompson is
10th at 13.7 points per night.
• Both reached the 20-point plateau at Samford, combining for 43 points, including 26 in the second half.
• The duo has reached double figures in same game 15 times.
• Brown or Thompson has led the team in scoring in 15 of the 22 games and have been the top two scorers on seven occasions.
• Combine to average 32.9 points on the road.
A-Sun Top Scoring Tandems
Smith/Wallace (UNF) - 31.4 pgg
Pegg/Perez (Stetson) - 31.0 ppg
Craig/Greene (USC Upstate) - 29.9 ppg
Cummings/Love (Kennesaw St.) - 29.5 ppg
Thompson/Brown (FGCU) - 29.1 ppg
Fresh off a career-high six steals against Stetson, sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON has already surpassed his total from last year, while his 2.7 thefts per game are on pace to break the program single-season record of 78.
• Fourth in the nation in total steals with 60.
• Leads the A-Sun and ranks sixth in the nation in steals per game (2.7).
• Career-high six steals vs. Stetson bested his five at then-No. 9 Duke, vs. Toledo and vs. Loyola-MD this season.
• Has four or more steals seven times this year.
• Has a steal in 49 of 54 career games, including 36 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 100 career steals in his 46th game at Kennesaw State.
• His 60 steals have led directly to 76 FGCU points (3.5 per game), including 27 of his own.
THE GREAT CHASE
Forward CHASE FIELER has elevated his game in each of his three seasons and is having a breakout junior campaign. Fieler is posting career-high numbers across the board, ranking in the top three on the squad in scoring, rebounding, steals and blocks.
• Team leader with 40 dunks out 99 made field goals.
• Has led the team in scoring seven times after leading the team in points just two times over his first two seasons.
• Third on the team in scoring (11.7) and second in rebounding (5.1) - figures that rank 19th and tied for 15th in the A-Sun, respectively.
• Reached double figures 16 times after doing so just 15 times during his freshman and sophomore campaigns.
• Fourth in the A-Sun in blocks at 1.2 per game.
• Team leader with 42 offensive rebounds.
• Named to the Battle 4 Atlantis All-Tournament team.
• Named the College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week on Dec. 17.
Over the last 18 games, junior CHASE FIELER is averaging 13.1 points and 5.5 rebounds, reaching double figures 15 times.
• Turned in the No. 3 highlight on the Jan. 25th Sports Center Top 10 Plays with a put-back dunk against Stetson.
• Reached double figures in 15 of the last 18 games, including a current career-long eight-game stretch.
• Set career-highs with 20 points, 12 rebounds and five blocks against Lipscomb for his second career double-double.
After leading the A-Sun and finishing second among freshmen nationally in assists per game in 2011-12, sophomore BRETT COMER is out to defend his league assist crown.
• Second in the A-Sun and 19th in the nation in assists (6.1).
• One of two A-Sun players (Will Wilson - UNF) this season with at least three games of 10 or more assists.
• Ranks fourth in the A-Sun in assist/turnover ratio (+1.7).
• Third all-time in FGCU history with 313 assists.
• Third in the A-Sun in steals per game (1.6).
• Scored in double figures eight times.
• Has an assist on 37 of the team’s 94 dunks.
• Finished with a positive assist/turnover ratio in 11 of the last 13 contests.
|Copyright ©2013 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|