Men's Basketball Looks to Get Back on Track Against Northern Kentucky
|Florida Gulf Coast||43||30||73|
|Stats at a Glance||NKU||FGCU|
|FG Percentage||.333 (18-54)||.500 (26-52)|
|3P FG Percentage||.345 (10-29)||.444 (12-27)|
|FT Percentage||.571 (8-14)||.818 (9-11)|
COMER - 3
GRAF - 3
COMER - 2
JACKSON - 1
FGCU (12-8, 4-3 A-Sun) vs. Northern Kentucky (4-10, 2-4 A-Sun)
Date: Saturday, January 19, 2013
Time: 5:15 P.M. EST
City: Fort Myers, Fla.
Site: Alico Arena (4,500)
Live Video (Free): A-Sun TV
Talent: Tom James (G-B-G) & J. Webb Horton (Analyst)
Live Audio: FGCUATHLETICS.com
Live Stats: FGCUATHLETICS.com
Current Streak: L2
Last 5: 3-2
Last 10: 6-4
At Home (A-Sun): 9-1 (2-1)
Vs. NKU/Home/Streak: First Meeting
AT A GLANCE
FGCU will look to rid itself of its first losing streak of the season on Saturday when it takes on Northern Kentucky at 5:15 p.m. at Alico Arena. Entering its sixth season in the A-Sun and at the Division I level, the Eagles’ meeting with the league’s newest member is the first between the two teams. FGCU (12-8) had its program Division I record nine-game win streak snapped on Thursday night in overtime against Lipscomb. The Eagles are now in fifth place in the A-Sun standings at 4-3, while NKU (4-10) is off to a 2-4 league record in its first year in the conference.
Head Coach: Andy Enfield (Johns Hopkins ‘91)
Record at FGCU: 27-25 (2nd Season)
Career Record: Same
A-Sun Record: 12-13 (2nd Season)
Head Coach: Dave Bezold (Viterbo (Wisc.) College ‘90)
Record at NKU: 165-89 (9th Season)
Career Record: Same
A-Sun Record: 2-4 (1st Season)
STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#0 Brett Comer (G)
• Second in the A-Sun & 19th nationally in assists per game (6.3).
• Team leader in assists in 19 of 20 games and 48 of 52 for career.
• Went over 300 career assists last game vs. Lipscomb.
#2 Bernard Thompson (G)
• Tied for fifth nationally in total steals (53) & 12th in steals per (2.7).
• Ranks ninth in the A-Sun in scoring (14.0).
• All four 20-point games this season have come on the road.
#25 Sherwood Brown (G)
• Averaging 17.0 points and 10.7 rebounds last three games.
• Double-double last three contests; 1st time in program D1 history.
• One of four A-Sun players in the top 10 in scoring and rebounding.
#20 Chase Fieler (F)
• Team leader with 37 dunks out of 88 made field goals.
• Scored double-digits in 13 of the last 16 games - 12.9 ppg & 5.7 rpg.
• Led team in scoring seven times after just twice first two seasons.
#12 Eric McKnight (F)
• A-Sun leader in total blocks (27) and third per game (1.4).
• Second in the A-Sun and 50th nationally in field goal pct. (.594).
• Reached double figures in six games.
FGCU FAST BREAK FACTS
• A-Sun leader with 12 wins; includes a program D-1 record eight non-conference victories.
• In the most recent NCAA Bracketology produced by ESPN.com, CBS Sports and SI.com as the A-Sun automatic bid.
• 9-1 at Alico Arena this season, riding a program D-1 record nine-game home win streak.
• 4-1 start in A-Sun play was the best since joining in 2007.
• A-Sun leader in scoring (72.1) and steals (9.1).
• Receiving votes in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 Poll the last seven weeks.
• As a team, FGCU has 84 dunks on the season.
SCOUTING NORTHERN KENTUCKY
In its first season at the Division I level and as a member of the Atlantic Sun, Northern Kentucky (NKU) is 4-10 on the year at 2-4 in league play. Three of the Norse’s four wins have come in true road games, including a 13-point victory at North Florida in the opening weekend of A-Sun action. Three of NKU’s four A-Sun losses have come by six points or less, as the Norse have allowed just four teams to reach the 70-point plateau, while FGCU comes in averaging a league-leading 72.1 points per game. Northern Kentucky is second in the A-Sun in scoring defense (60.5), third in field goal percentage defense (.431) and tops in three-point defense (.291). Senior Eshaunte Jones is averaging a team-best 13.2 points per game thanks to nine double figure performances. Freshman Tyler White is the reigning A-Sun Newcomer of the Week after an 18-point performance during a win over Lipscomb and is averaging 11.7 points over the last three contests.
FGCU is 9-1 at Alico Arena this season and 18-6 all-time at home under second-year head coach ANDY ENFIELD.
• Nine-game home win streak to start the year was the longest in the program’s Division I history.
• Out-scoring opponents by 11.2 points per game.
• Forcing 17.2 turnovers per game, leading to 10.1 steals.
• Dominating inside, out-scoring opponents 392-224 in the paint, good for a 16.8 per game difference.
• Shooting 47 percent while limiting opponents to 38 percent.
• Defeated ACC foe Miami in the home opener, limiting the Canes to just 29 percent (16-55) shooting.
• Led at the half in nine of 10 games.
MAKE MOVES IN THE MID-MAJOR POLL
Currently in the top 100 of the RPI according to eight different media outlets, FGCU has received votes in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 Poll seven straight weeks. The Eagles are the only A-Sun team currently getting votes.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN is averaging 17.0 points and 10.7 rebounds over FGCU’s last three games, becoming the first player in the program’s six-year Division I history to have a double-double in three straight contests. Brown’s three straight double-doubles equals a program record for consecutive double-doubles, accomplished by Adam Liddell in 2005-06 and Robinson Tisme two times in the inaugural 2002-03 campaign.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN and sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON give FGCU one of the top backcourts in the Atlantic Sun and the fifth-best scoring tandem in the conference. The duo is averaging a combined 28.5 points, 10.6 rebounds and 4.1 steals per game.
• One of three combos in the A-Sun to both rank in the top 10 in scoring ... Brown is seventh at 14.5 points per game, while Thompson is ninth at an even 14 points per night.
• Both reached the 20-point plateau at Samford, combining for 43 points, including 26 in the second half.
• The duo has reached double figures in same game 14 times
• Brown or Thompson has led the team in scoring in 13 of the 20 games and have been the top two scorers on seven occasions.
• Combine to average 32.9 points on the road.
A-Sun Top Scoring Tandems
Smith/Wallace (UNF) - 31.8 pgg
Cummings/Love (Kennesaw St.) - 30.3 ppg
Pegg/Perez (Stetson) - 30.0 ppg
Craig/Greene (USC Upstate) - 29.2 ppg
Thompson/Brown (FGCU) - 28.5 ppg
Sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON registered 57 steals as a freshman in 2011-12 - good for third in the A-Sun and fifth-best in program single-season history - and is on pace to shatter that total and the program record this season.
• Tied for fifth in the nation in total steals with 53.
• Leads the A-Sun and ranks tied for 12th in the nation in steals per game (2.7)
• Had a career-high of five steals at No. 9 Duke, vs. Toledo and vs. Loyola-MD.
• Has four or more steals six times this year.
• Has a steal in 47 of 52 career games, including 35 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 100 career steals in his 46th game at Kennesaw State.
• His 53 steals have led directly to 66 FGCU points (3.3 per game), including 23 of his own.
Against Lipscomb, senior SHERWOOD BROWN and junior CHASE FIELER became just the third FGCU tandem in the program’s D-1 history to record a double-double in the same game. Brown’s third straight double-double featured 20 points and 10 rebounds, while Fieler had career-bests of 20 points, 12 rebounds and five blocks.
THE GREAT CHASE
Forward CHASE FIELER has elevated his game in each of his three season and is having a breakout junior campaign. Fieler is posting career-high numbers across the board, ranking in the top three on the squad in scoring, rebounding, assists, steals and blocks.
• Team leader with 37 dunks out 88 made field goals.
• Has led the team in scoring seven times after leading the team in points just two times over his first two seasons.
• Third on the team in scoring (11.4) and second in rebounding (5.3) - figures that rank 18th and 13th in the A-Sun, respectively.
• Moved up to fourth in the A-Sun in blocks at 1.2 per game.
• Team leader with 39 offensive rebounds.
• Named to the Battle 4 Atlantis All-Tournament team.
• Named the College Sports Madness A-Sun Player of the Week on Dec. 17.
Over the last 16 games, junior CHASE FIELER is averaging 12.9 points and 5.7 rebounds, reaching double figures 13 times. He is coming off a career night against Lipscomb in which he had 20 points, 12 rebounds and five blocks.
• Reached double figures in 13 of the last 16 games, including a current career long six-game stretch.
After leading the A-Sun and finishing second among freshmen nationally in assists per game in 2011-12, sophomore BRETT COMER is out to defend his league assist crown.
• Second in the A-Sun and is 19th in the nation in assists (6.3).
• One of two A-Sun players (Will Wilson - UNF) this season with at least three games of 10 or more assists.
• Ranks fourth in the A-Sun in assist/turnover ratio (+1.6).
• Third all-time in FGCU history with 304 assists.
• Fourth in the A-Sun in steals per game (1.7).
• Scored in double figures seven times.
• Has an assist on 35 of the team’s 84 dunks.
• Finished with a positive assist/turnover ratio in 10 of the last 11 contests.
WHAT CAN BROWN DO FOR YOU
One of two players to rank in the A-Sun’s top 10 in scoring and rebounding in 2011-12, this season senior SHERWOOD BROWN has twice been named the A-Sun Player of the Week by College Sports Madness an once by the league office. He was also named the MVP of the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament hosted by FGCU.
• One of four players in the A-Sun in the top 10 in scoring (14.5/7th) and rebounding (5.9/8th).
• Reached double figures in a team-best 17 contests, including a trio of 20-point outings.
• Averaging 17.0 points and 10.7 rebounds over the last three games thanks to back-to-back-to-back double-doubles.
• In the A-Sun’s top 10 in seven different statistical categories.
• Averaging 16.2 points on the road and has reached double-digits in 16 straight true road games.
• FGCU is 6-3 when Brown leads in scoring.
• Team leader with 37 three-pointers, knocking down 34 of his last 81 from beyond the arc.
A CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major All-American a year ago, sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON has a quartet of 20-point games on the road this season and was named the A-Sun Player of the Week on November 20.
• Fifth in the nation with 53 steals.
• Ninth in the A-Sun in scoring (14.0).
• Led the team in scoring five times and rebounding five times.
• Has four 20-point road games.
• Second on the team lead with 16 double figure outings.
• Averaging 16.7 points per game in nine road games with 24 points at No. 9 Duke, 21 points at VCU, 21 points at Samford and 20 points at St. John’s.
• Ranks fifth in the A-Sun in three-point percentage (.380).
• Scored double figures in the second half five times, including 15 points at No. 9 Duke, and three times in the first half.
Breakdown of FGCU’s individual dunk leaders ... the Eagles have 84 dunks.
37 - Chase Fieler
21 - Eric McKnight
9 - Eddie Murray
8 - Sherwood Brown
5 - Leonard Livingston
4 - Bernard Thompson
|Copyright ©2013 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|