FGCU Finishes Off Hectic Opening Month at Samford Wednesday Night
|Florida Gulf Coast||34||52||86|
|Stats at a Glance||FGCU||SAM|
|FG Percentage||.518 (29-56)||.418 (23-55)|
|3P FG Percentage||.556 (10-18)||.190 (4-21)|
|FT Percentage||.750 (18-24)||.632 (12-19)|
- 9||GEFFRARD, JR.
GEFFRARD, JR. - 3
BECKHAM - 3
BECKHAM - 3
FIELER - 1
WILSON - 1
GEFFRARD, JR. - 1
FGCU (4-3) at Samford (1-6)
Coaching Matchup: Andy Enfield (19-20; 2nd Season) vs. Bennie Seltzer (1-6; 1st Season)
Date: Wednesday, November 28, 2012
Time: 8:00 P.M. EST
City: Birmingham, Ala.
Site: Pete Hanna Center (5,000)
Live Video: www.SAMFORDSPORTS.com
Live Audio: www.SAMFORDSPORTS.com
Talent: Mike Grace (P-B-P)
Live Stats: www.SAMFORDSPORTS.com
Twitter Hashtags: #FGCUvsSAM/#ASUNMBB/#FGCU
Current Streak: L1
On the Road: 0-3
Vs. Samford: First Meeting
Vs. SoCon: First Meeting
AT A GLANCE
FGCU will cap a busy opening month of the season with its eighth game and fourth on the road Wednesday night against Southern Conference (SoCon) member Samford at the Pete Hanna Center (5,000) in Birmingham, Ala. The Eagles have posted a program record for wins in November, starting out 4-3 with a win over ACC foe Miami and a team title at the Battle 4 Atlantis hosted by FGCU, which earned the 11-year old program an automatic invitation into the 2016 Battle 4 Atlantis held in the Bahamas. Wednesday’s game will be the first meeting between the two teams and FGCU’s first against a member of the SoCon. Samford participated in last week’s tournament at FGCU, going 0-2.
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN became the second straight Eagle to win the A-Sun Player of the Week on Tuesday, announced by the league office. Brown averaged 14.7 points over the three-game week that was highlighted by a 22-point outing against Toledo to win MVP honors of the Battle 4 Atlantis hosted by FGCU. Brown’s A-Sun Player of the Week honor follows sophomore Bernard Thompson’s on Nov. 20. Brown has also been named College Sports Madness’ A-Sun Player of the Week two straight times.
Sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON registered 57 steals as a freshman in 2011-12, good for third in the A-Sun and fifth-best in program single-season history. Thompson is back at it again this season, leading the A-Sun in thefts and ranking tied for 10th in the nation early on.
• Leads the A-Sun and ranks 10th in the nation with 3.0 steals per game.
• Registered a career-high of five steals at No. 9 Duke and against Toledo.
• On a streak of seven straight games with a steal
• Has a steal in 35 of 39 career games, including 26 multi-steal performances.
With its 72-66 win over Toledo last Thursday in the Championship game of the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament hosted by FGCU, the Eagles earned an automatic invitation into the 2016 Battle 4 Atlantis in the Bahamas. All four teams in the tournament (FGCU, Toledo, Samford & Alcorn State) played games against teams in the 2012 Battle 4 Atlantis, while a bid for the 2016 main event was up for grabs at the tournament hosted in Southwest Florida. Behind Tournament MVP SHERWOOD BROWN’S 17 points in the second half, the Eagles erased a 10-point halftime deficit to take down Toledo in the championship.
Behind a 40-14 edge in points in the paint and a 21-3 game-changing run in the middle of the first half, FGCU erased an early 10-point deficit en route to a 63-51 win over Miami in its home opener on Nov. 13. • The win was the Eagles’ first over an ACC school, as the Hurricanes received nine votes in that week’s Associated Press Top 25 poll. • Making his debut in front of the FGCU faithful, sophomore ERIC MCKNIGHT had team-highs of 14 points and eight rebounds, out-dueling Miami center Reggie Johnson, who went 2-for-8 from the field for six points.
A CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major All-American a year ago, sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON has a trio of 20-point games on the road this season and was named the A-Sun Player of the Week on November 20.
• One of three players in the top 10 of the A-Sun in scoring (14.7) & rebounding (5.3/T-10th)
• Thompson is averaging 21.7 points per game in three road games with 24 points at No. 9 Duke, 21 points at VCU and 20 points at St. John’s
• Highlighted by a career-high six three-pointers at No. 9 Duke, - tied for the most threes in the A-Sun this season - he ranks 8th in the A-Sun in three-point percentage (.444) and tied for 9th in threes per game (1.7).
• Averaging 9.6 points in the second half that is boosted by 15 points in the final 20 minutes at No. 9 and at VCU and 14 at St. John’s
• Hauled in a team season-best 11 boards vs. Toledo
Senior SHERWOOD BROWN and sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON give FGCU one of the top backcourts in the Atlantic Sun. The duo is averaging a combined 29.1 points and 10.2 rebounds.
• One of two combos in the A-Sun to both rank in the top 10 in scoring ... Thompson’s 14.7 points are 8th, while Brown’s 14.4 points are 9th.
• The duo has reached double figures in same game five times with FGCU going 2-3.
• Brown or Thompson has led the team in scoring in five of the seven games.
A-Sun Top Scoring Tandems:
Pegg/Graham (Stetson) - 35.0 ppg
Craig/Rodgers (USC Upstate) - 30.0 ppg
Thompson/Brown (FGCU) - 29.1 ppg
Cummings/Love (Kennesaw St.) - 28.1 ppg
Smith/Wallace (UNF) - 26.0 pgg
THE WAIT IS OVER
Redshirt sophomore ERIC MCKNIGHT sat out the 2011-12 after transferring to FGCU from Iowa State and is off to a strong start in the Green and Blue. The 6-foot-9 bouncy forward with a 7-foot-2 wingspan has started all seven games.
• Third on the team in scoring (8.3) and tops in rebounding (5.7), a figure that ranks 8th in the A-Sun.
• A-Sun leader in blocks (14) and blocks per game (2.0), who has a block in all seven games.
• Team leader with 17 offensive rebounds, good for 6th in the A-Sun at 2.4 per game.
• Shooting 49 percent, highlighted by seven dunks.
• Produced game-highs of 14 points and eight rebounds in the win over Miami.
• Scored a season-high 15 points against Toledo with seven boards and three blocks.
WHAT CAN BROWN DO FOR YOU
One of two players to rank in the A-Sun’s top 10 in scoring and rebounding in 2011-12, senior SHERWOOD BROWN was named the College Sports Madness A-Sun player of the Week for second straight time on Monday after a 22-point night against Toledo in the Battle 4 Atlantis title game hosted by FGCU in which he was named the MVP.
• Ranks 9th in the A-Sun in scoring (14.4), 17th in rebounding (4.9), tied for 6th in steals (1.7) and 5th in minutes (32.7).
• Has reached double figures a team-best six times.
• FGCU is 2-0 when Brown leads in scoring.
• Highlighted by 17 points against Toledo, Brown averages 9.1 points in the second half.
IT’S ALL ABOUT THE D
Known for its up-tempo style on offense, FGCU is starting show the traits of some of the teams coach ANDY ENFIELD was a member of at Florida State when it became the first team since the 1990-92 Georgetown clubs to lead the NCAA in field goal percentage defense in back-to-back years.
• FGCU ranks second in the A-Sun in field goal percentage defense (.417).
• The Eagles lead the A-Sun and are 50th in the nation with 9.4 steals per game and rank third in blocks (3.6).
• Allowed just 16 second chance points in the last three games.
• Sophomore BERNARD THOMPSON leads the A-Sun in steals (3.0), while redshirt sophomore ERIC MCKNIGHT is tied for the league lead in blocks (2.0).
• Forcing a conference second-best 17.6 turnovers per game, forcing 15+ turnovers five times (3-2).
• Allowed 54 points or less in three of four wins.
• No team has shot over 35 percent from three-point land, as opponents are shooting just 27.6 percent.
FGCU is armed with a long and athletic lineup that has been aggressive at the rim and in the paint this season. The Eagles have averaged 33 points in the paint this season, including 27 dunks.
Player - Dunks
Chase Fieler - 11
Eric McKnight - 7
Sherwood Brown - 4
Eddie Murray - 3
Leonard Livingston - 2
Bernard Thompson - 1
• FGCU has reached the 40-point plateau in points in the paint in two games - Maim and Toledo
• Been held below 30 points in the paint just one time.
• Eagles had a season-high eight dunks against Toledo.
Over the last three games, junior CHASE FIELER has been FGCU’s second-leading scorer at 12.3 points per contest while adding 5.7 rebounds. Fieler is the Eagles’ third leading scorer and has reached double figures three straight games and four of his last five. The West Virginia native was named to the Battle 4 Atlantis All-Tournament team.
|Copyright ©2013 FGCU Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.FGCUAthletics.com|